Cutting down body lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cutting down body lift?

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 10-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
goinbroke89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Cutting down body lift?

I just bought a 94 with a 2 inch body lift and 32 inch BFGs. I want to put a 2.5 inch suspension lift on it take the body lift out. Is it possible to cut the 2 inch pucks down? Or would it be smarter to just get 1 inch bl? I want it higher than it sits now and I don't know if the 1/2 I gain from the suspension lift will be enough. I don't off road at all.

goinbroke89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Just cut them down. Save yourself $100.00
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I paddled that boat about a year ago. The PO put a 3" body lift on mine ( I know I know). When I put on my 2.5" Old Man Emu lift, I left the body lift on for about a week before it drove me crazy. I took one of the bolts out to get a solid measurement on it, then went to the hardware store for new Grade 8 bolts 1.5" shorter than what was there. I then took the body lift out 1 puck at a time and cut them in half making a 1.5" body lift. It looks WAY better now and the extra 1.5" gives me plenty of room to work on the transfer case, clean between the frame and body and do other such items.

A couple words of caution about removal: Check your steering shaft before you drop the body. The shaft should slip together as the body comes down. If your slip joint is frozen, the shaft will blow out your steering gear box (ask me how I know ). Remove your fan shroud before you do anything. As the body comes down, the fan will hit the shroud and cause quite the bind. Once the body is where you want it, adjust your radiator so it's even with your fan and reinstall the shroud. My radiator was lowered using flat bar stock. Since I was cutting the lift in half, I simply drilled and tapped new holes half way between the existing holes. Made relocation pretty easy.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
goinbroke89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
I paddled that boat about a year ago. The PO put a 3" body lift on mine ( I know I know). When I put on my 2.5" Old Man Emu lift, I left the body lift on for about a week before it drove me crazy. I took one of the bolts out to get a solid measurement on it, then went to the hardware store for new Grade 8 bolts 1.5" shorter than what was there. I then took the body lift out 1 puck at a time and cut them in half making a 1.5" body lift. It looks WAY better now and the extra 1.5" gives me plenty of room to work on the transfer case, clean between the frame and body and do other such items.

A couple words of caution about removal: Check your steering shaft before you drop the body. The shaft should slip together as the body comes down. If your slip joint is frozen, the shaft will blow out your steering gear box (ask me how I know ). Remove your fan shroud before you do anything. As the body comes down, the fan will hit the shroud and cause quite the bind. Once the body is where you want it, adjust your radiator so it's even with your fan and reinstall the shroud. My radiator was lowered using flat bar stock. Since I was cutting the lift in half, I simply drilled and tapped new holes half way between the existing holes. Made relocation pretty easy.
Do you have any pics before and after?
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbroke89 View Post
Do you have any pics before and after?
But of course.

Mother's Day 2012. The day she came home. 30x9.5's. 3" body lift. Stock suspension.

As she sits now. 2.5" OME suspension lift. 1.5" body lift. 31x10.5's

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
goinbroke89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Great. Thanks. How does it ride comparing before and after?
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #7
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Great. Thanks. How does it ride comparing before and after?
Words don't do it justice. Buck board to Caddy? The OME lift is one of the best investments I put into my rig and I'm the type that triple thinks virtually every upgrade I do.

Unread 10-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
goinbroke89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That's great to know because that's exactly what I am thinking about doing. I've read great things about OME. It's just so expensive. I had an 89 a few years ago and I had a 4 inch Rough Country lift on it and it dang near jarred my fillings loose when I ran over a dime in the road.
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had a Rancho on my last YJ. It was very rough. The OME is like night/day compared to that.

As for price, I was out the door for about $750. I did OME's bushings, 4 standard duty springs (no hard top so I didn't need the heavy duty springs), new Rancho RS5000 series shocks and a new steering stabilizer. I reused the u-bolts, bushing sleeves, shackles and shackle bolts. You already know what the Rough Country costs in poor performance, the couple hundred extra for the OME will pay itself back in comfort and off road performance.

Unread 10-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just be careful removing that body lift. I know they called for red loctite on the new bolts. Turning them now all these years later may break the body nut loose.

Body lifts aren't the end of the world. .., we'll maybe 3 inch ones.

Sent from my rotary phone using JeepForum
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
goinbroke89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I had a Rancho on my last YJ. It was very rough. The OME is like night/day compared to that.

As for price, I was out the door for about $750. I did OME's bushings, 4 standard duty springs (no hard top so I didn't need the heavy duty springs), new Rancho RS5000 series shocks and a new steering stabilizer. I reused the u-bolts, bushing sleeves, shackles and shackle bolts. You already know what the Rough Country costs in poor performance, the couple hundred extra for the OME will pay itself back in comfort and off road performance.
Where did you get your stuff from?
Unread 10-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Where did you get your stuff from?
Morris 4x4. That's where I get 90+% of my stuff.

Unread 10-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
goinbroke89
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Morris 4x4. That's where I get 90+% of my stuff.
So if I were going to order the parts separately, what all would I need? Four springs, four shocks...I could reuse my stock shackles and u-bolts right?
Unread 10-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

So if I were going to order the parts separately, what all would I need? Four springs, four shocks...I could reuse my stock shackles and u-bolts right?
Reusing your u-bolts depends highly on condition. You'll also need to order bushings for the springs.

Unread 10-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #15
BuffaWrangler
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
See my sig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.