Cutting down a 3" body lift.............? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cutting down a 3" body lift.............?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-04-2001, 01:59 PM   #1
OhYeah

Cutting down a 3" body lift.............?

Hey there friends,
I have a 91 YJ with a 3" bodylift (yeah, I know), 3"suspension lift, and bushwacker flares for extra room. I will be running a 33x12.50 BFG KM tire soon.
My plan is to take the body lift off and cut it down to either 2 1.5" pucks or 3 1" pucks but I want as much room to flex as possible. Which should I do? Also, am I sacrificing any of the structural intregrity of the pucks by doing this. I plan on sharing the extra with some Jeep buddies of mine if it will be safe for them. Has anyone actually done this?

Thanks,

Chris

O_O_O_O
o-I_ ___ _ I-o
(O IIIII O)
[_ O__O _ ]
{{}}}--o-{{{}}
{{}}} {{{}}
OoOoOoooOOOoOOO
(oO0O(oOo)0o0O0o()o
OhYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2001, 05:10 PM   #2
CR Perry

Speaking to the structural integrity, carefully cutting the spacers in half or thirds will make the body lift as a whole more stable and will not reduce the strength of the actual spacer. If you installed the original body lift yourself then you know that the radiator and steering shaft may need to be readjusted for the new body lift height.

With a 3” spring lift you may want to go with 1.5” of body lift to help clear the 33s when off-roading. Especially with sway bar disconnects. Remember, its always hard to cut a little more on.
Unread 12-05-2001, 07:41 AM   #3
Atropine
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Kinda off the subject, but has anyone ever heard of people using hockey pucks (NHL) as spacers? Evidently they are the same size and they are supposed to be stronger. Hmm...
04' Dodge Ram

"Jeep mechanic wanted: must be able to put square peg in round hole"
Atropine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2001, 07:59 AM   #4
OhYeah

Quote:
Originally posted by AtRoPiNe:
Kinda off the subject, but has anyone ever heard of people using hockey pucks (NHL) as spacers? Evidently they are the same size and they are supposed to be stronger. Hmm...
I have heard of it, but the hockey pucks would not be the same size as these spacers, also the material is much different. I personally wouldn't rig my Jeep like that but that is just my opinion. I used to play hockey and we have broken pucks just screwing around slapshotting them into a wall and I just don't think I would like to be riding on that.

O_O_O_O
o-I_ ___ _ I-o
(O IIIII O)
[_ O__O _ ]
{{}}}--o-{{{}}
{{}}} {{{}}
OoOoOoooOOOoOOO
(oO0O(oOo)0o0O0o()o
OhYeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2001, 05:41 PM   #5
West

Ohyeah-I'm new to the jeep world. Couldyou explain to me what it is you are trying to achieve? Is there an advantage to using 2 or 3 smaller spacers instead of a single 3 inch spacer?
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2001, 06:01 PM   #6
my litte red yj

now you live in conn and you know how they are( state) the D.M.V frowns on stuff like that they do have pop inspections do not get caught i do not want to be on a soap box but trying to save you a lot of hassle, conn is not 4x4 friendly!! you very rarly see BIG tall lifted trucks or jeep's it is easy to sell the 3 inch and buy a 1.5 or a 2.5 if you want i may be intertested in the 3 '' body
my litte red yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.