cutting cj top to fit yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > cutting cj top to fit yj

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
eaelliott5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

cutting cj top to fit yj

I just got a hardtop off of an '83 cj for my yj. The front along the windshield does not quite line up because of the different roll bar causing it to not sit flush along the tub of the jeep. I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly where to cut before I just go wildly hacking away at the top. I'm not sure if I can just cut around the roll bar mounts or if I will have to shave a bit off the outside of the top where it sits on the outside windshield.
thanks in advance

eaelliott5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

there should be no cutting involved if its a cj7 top. thats what i had on mine with no modification
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

^^I agree. If the soft top rail is still on the windshield or if the windshield isn't lined up the way it needs to be, you won't get any hard top on.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The only time I've ever heard of any trimming necessary was around the rear door area and I don't remember why that had to happen. Shouldn't be any need for cutting. Maybe take some pics and host them on photobucket and post the "img" links here, then we can give better advice.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a CJ-7 hardtop on my YJ right now and the PO did notch the corners to fit the roll bar attaching the rear cage to the windshield. I can take some pics if you'd like. It looks like he had to do it to keep it from hitting the roll bar.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
eaelliott5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

All of the soft top hardware is off the jeep, there is about a 1/4-1/2 inch gap inside between the top and top of windshield due to the roll bar. This is causing about the same size gap on the tub right by the doors. Outside it seems to rest fine where it needs to be. I've seen on some other threads that sometimes they need to be cut so I didn't know if who had already done it could tell me exactly where to cut. Also I'm in the army and live in the barracks so tools are limited. Any cheap ideas there?
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
I have a CJ-7 hardtop on my YJ right now and the PO did notch the corners to fit the roll bar attaching the rear cage to the windshield. I can take some pics if you'd like. It looks like he had to do it to keep it from hitting the roll bar.
I had to do this as well with a CJ7 top I bought a few months ago. It was hitting the roll bar "spreader bars" where they attach to the top of the windshield. I just used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to notch the INSIDE of the two channels of the hardtop. I'll try to get a pic later if you need one.
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
danlee
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I ended up loosing my roll bar where it fastenens to the windsheild frame, I also loosened up the adjusters as well. Once my top was on and in place I tightened everything up.
danlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
nzpete
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, you may have to notch the area where the roll bar connects to the windshield frame.
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I had to notch my CJ top as well. Sorry, I don't have any pics as the top is in the basement for the summer. However, it should be fairly obvious. I set the top on and marked where I needed to cut. If I remember correctly it was not much maybe 3/8" or less just in the corners to clear the sport bars. I just made my marks, took the top off and laid it upside down in the yard and took a cut off wheel to it. It should only take a few minutes and if you marked correctly and smoothed the cut it will look factory.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #11
eaelliott5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Got it done, cut the inside and still had to shave about an 1/8 of an inch off the outside where it rests on the windshield to make it fit. Hopefully that doesn't cause problems with the doors.

Thanks for the advice,
Eric

Tags
cj , hardtop , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.