cutting brake lines - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > cutting brake lines

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
chicalibro3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

cutting brake lines

okay so i totally can't get my brake lines off! I used like three different types of vise grip, and i still can't get it off. I've resorted to cutting the lines. I'm thinking about using my dremel tool to cut the lines. I know that there are line cutters but i don't think they will fit. Do you guys think this is a bad idea. i really don't want to botch this cause i need my car by wednesday.

chicalibro3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

what exactly is your project? are you replacing wheel cylinders, calipers, master?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
chicalibro3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

oops! sorry i forgot to carify. I'm trying to put longer brake lines on the front of my Jeep. I put the lift on and now all that is keeping me from wheeling is the length of my brake lines. I've been trying to get the rubber lines off and the flare nut on the hard brake line both driver and passenger side are rounded off and i can't get them off.
so i'm thinking about cutting the hard line re-flaring. Is there a better way of doing this?
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
chicalibro3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Or do you think i should just buy some new line and replace it?
Unread 06-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced all the hard lines for about $50 and 2-3 hours work.

Or you can cut the existing back and re-flare it but then it might be too short and it is for sure an awkward place to work.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
chicalibro3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I might as well do that. Thanks JBOLTY, I love your jeep btw.
Unread 06-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you use a saw or cutoff wheel to cut lines, rather than a tubing cutter, you will get fine metal particles in your line and brake fluid. These particles will cause rapid wear and possibly failure once they get into the wheel cylinder or caliper!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Go to Autozone and rent a flaring tool. It'll come with a line cutter. Do not try to use anything but a line cutter. Buy a new male 3/16 brake end (maybe a dollar?) and install it with a new flare. Practice double-flaring on some scrap before trying on your line.

Oh and you need line wrenches to work on brake fittings because they are soft brass. Regular wrenches will round them off right away as you have found out.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
chicalibro3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I'll let u guys know how it goes.
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
chicalibro3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, just finished. Took me about 4 hours but I got it done. I just cut the old lines (with a pipe/line cutter) and flared them. What took me the longest was bleeding the brakes. I left out two washers that go between the caliper and the block of the new line. That caused too much pressure I guess, because fluid sprayed out at the joint of the block and the line. Put them back on and I think I'm good. Tested the brakes around he neighborhood and they seemed fine. I'll do some bigger streets tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.