Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cuts out then backfires?

514 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  pete1991YJ 
#1 ·
I have been havering this problem to were I'll loose rpms even if I haven't changed how much I am on the gas pedal. It then kinda sputters then back fires. Now this doesn't really happen unless I'm on a 1/4 tank of gas or if I've been driving 1/2-2 hours on the freeway. It popped up a code for the AIS circuit? I was wondering if I can replace that or any other ideas on why this is happening!

95 YJ 2.5 4 banger with 4"rancho lift on top of 33x12.5/15

#3 ·
#4 ·
Wondering if you got some water or condensate in the gas, you said it *only* happens when its down to 1/4 tank or you've been on the freeway for a while? Its the right time of year for water-related probs to happen, basically whenever the seasons changes.

#6 ·
Thanks Que! its been a long time, but maybe it is a possibility. I think the OP should dump and drain his fuel tank and system, then replace with a few gallons of *fresh* gas and a bottle of gas-line-antifreeze. Then try and see if the symptoms happen again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.