Cuts out for no reason... other times stumbles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cuts out for no reason... other times stumbles

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-03-2001, 05:06 PM   #1
JJM

Cuts out for no reason... other times stumbles

I have a 90 jeep... 42,000 miles. I bought it used from a young woman from whom I got the impression liked the idea of owning a jeep but not driving it.....

I have had it for about 2years... ran okay.

Recently had major problems(as I fear a lot of us have) with the carb, intake/exhaust values, cat, and muffler. Replaced them all.

Runs better than it ever has... when it runs.

Occasionally, (3 or 4 times in a 2 month period) I have been idling at a light.. light changes, I give it gas and my tack flies all over the place as it "stumbles" forward...Tack reads 0 then shoots to 21/2 back down to 0. Twice it cleared by itself... twice I chugged to the side of the road... shut it off pulled the air filter/carb cover off... restarted it and all was fine...

A couple of times, (2 or 3 times) I have been idling at a light.. and chokes and dies... sometimes it starts right up...

Last night.. I was driving home... doing about 45-55 mph... it dies... my foot still on the gas... I pulled over... tried to restart a couple of time.. no luck.. got out and removed the air filter/carb cover again and she fired right up...

On way home... tack dove to zero twice.. but it did not stall.

I brought it back once... guys couldn't find anything wrong.. plan to bring it back again. I'd like to point these bozos in the right direction...

Any ideas...anyone..anyone at all. Help!

JJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2001, 01:44 PM   #2
gifargis

Check your Distributor Rotor.. make sure there is enough for contact to the top of the distributor cap. It might not be your air/fuel mixture. It very well could be the electrical side because if you are on the highway and as everyone knows each Jeep is a brick with mudders, the jeep will get more than required air into the TB (Throttle Body). Also when the contacts get warm or hot the metal of the rotor will be more plyable that cold.. that also might be the zero to 2,500 RPM deal..
Unread 12-05-2001, 05:14 PM   #3
dburton

87-90 YJ's had problems with ignition modules it's located below the coolant recovery jug should have 2 plugs going to it.I would replace this first the last two jeeps I have owned both have had stalling problems and this fixed them
Darin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.