Custom seat risers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Custom seat risers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #1
lukeh
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Custom seat risers

After figuring out my new seats would be too high on the stock risers (following a comment and suggestion by timatoe) I decided to knock up some custom seat risers.

I'd have found it useful to have a writeup and dimensions before I started, so maybe this will help out someone else (shout for dimensions), but really I'm posting because my missus is just not feeling the enthusiasm for them.

Anyway, these drop the front by just under 3 inches, and the back by just under 1 inch, which makes all the difference.
Edit, they're also about 3/4 inch further back, the stock ones didn't slide back far enough for me.

Now I'll be honest, this took me about 10 times longer than I'd planned (I haven't welded in over 15 years, but its like riding a bike ). I got a horrible sunburn from the welder (goggles instead of mask, lesson learned, the panda look isn't a good one), and a couple of grumpy kids because they didn't get to do what I said we would.

It also cost probably a lot more than it should (home depot was the only place I could buy steel on a Friday night for an early Saturday morning start). I used 56 inches of inch box section, and about 6 inches of inch angle. I was going to brace to them together as well, but test fitting the loose brackets (no seat) had me unable to move them at all even with only one bolt each, so I think bracing them is unnecessary.

On another note, does anyone recognize these:

These are the original riser from my dirvers side, the passenger side has the regular flip forward, but I haven't been able to find a picture of these anywhere, they look stock, but are they?

lukeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

can't help you with what those are, but like the job you did fabbing the ones you made up!
Unread 07-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice. Looks pretty good there

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes those bottom pictured pieces are stock.

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, at some point they stopped putting the flip up risers on the driver side, somewhere around '91 or '92 I think.

When I did mine I was also going to cross brace them and never did.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Vin91
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I will pay you to make me some lol. I am having this same issue with my buckets seats. It's doesn't help i dont have a tilt steering wheel.
Vin91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i know my 87 has folding risers on both sides and the wife's 93 had it only on the driver's side.

those look good but why 3" drop on one and 1 on the other? you don;t want them to be evenly dropped?

this is a good place to ask as i have stock 80 bmw recaro seats in black leather to put in my jeep someday.
Unread 07-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
lukeh
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin91 View Post
I will pay you to make me some lol. I am having this same issue with my buckets seats. It's doesn't help i dont have a tilt steering wheel.
I wish I could offer, but you need someone a bit more "efficient" with the wand than me. I'll measure up and post dimensions later in case you want to take it to a local fab shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
those look good but why 3" drop on one and 1 on the other? you don;t want them to be evenly dropped?

this is a good place to ask as i have stock 80 bmw recaro seats in black leather to put in my jeep someday.

It's a 3" drop at the front, 1" at the back. Not sure if you've noticed, but the stock seats are an even thickness front to back, and the risers have the front higher than the back. My new seats are much thicker at the front than at the back and have their own slope front to back, so my new risers are basically dead level (allowing the shape of the seat it was designed with, to control the angle). See:

versus:

Maybe this illustrates it better (even if it is a little bit exaggerated ):

Nice work on the leather Recaro's, I'd have loved a set of those!
Unread 07-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i never noticed the risers are what tilt the seat, thats interesting.

check bimmerforums for sale section for stock old recaros. they are pretty expensive though. mine, the dude sold me for cheap, 300 bucks. usually they go for 500 to 1k, depending on condition

they look like these but a little rougher

Unread 07-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
lukeh
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
i never noticed the risers are what tilt the seat, thats interesting.

check bimmerforums for sale section for stock old recaros. they are pretty expensive though. mine, the dude sold me for cheap, 300 bucks. usually they go for 500 to 1k, depending on condition

they look like these but a little rougher

Those are nice. I don't think you need to shorten the risers, they don't look too thick (my stock seats were 4" at the front, new ones were just ovr 6"). They also don't look as though they have the rails with tilt, rise etc that beemers usually have, so I'd hazard that if you put them on the stock sliders they'd be ok (unless like me you're tall and even the stock seats were too high and too far forward).
Worth a test fit at least, you might be lucky!
Unread 07-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeh View Post
I wish I could offer, but you need someone a bit more "efficient" with the wand than me. I'll measure up and post dimensions later in case you want to take it to a local fab shop.

It's a 3" drop at the front, 1" at the back. Not sure if you've noticed, but the stock seats are an even thickness front to back, and the risers have the front higher than the back. My new seats are much thicker at the front than at the back and have their own slope front to back, so my new risers are basically dead level (allowing the shape of the seat it was designed with, to control the angle). See:

versus:

Maybe this illustrates it better (even if it is a little bit exaggerated ):

Nice work on the leather Recaro's, I'd have loved a set of those!
wow, those are awesome seats! What material is that?
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
wow, those are awesome seats! What material is that?
It's a heavy cloth, I don't know what exactly it is, I've got the same seats in all black. From JC Whitney I got mine buy one get one, but they're on sale right now for $99 each.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #13
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
It's a heavy cloth, I don't know what exactly it is, I've got the same seats in all black. From JC Whitney I got mine buy one get one, but they're on sale right now for $99 each.
just wish i could find something that will hold up to water in the summer, so expensive! they look awesome though, no doubt...mine look like the op's pic, actually exactly like, lol.
Unread 07-26-2011, 07:12 AM   #14
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
just wish i could find something that will hold up to water in the summer, so expensive! they look awesome though, no doubt...mine look like the op's pic, actually exactly like, lol.
You have to go with vinyl seats. Cloth seats with me will get dirty and stained, especially when I go on a parts run when working on a vehicle.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
Buckshooter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Those risers are what I need. I have a tilt sterring wheel, but no leg room and my belly rubs against the steering wheel.
Buckshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
riser , seat

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.