Custom rear frame cross-member - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Custom rear frame cross-member

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 07-25-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Custom rear frame cross-member

I've gotten a few questions about this so I thought I would post a quick thread on the swap.

I took some vacation time a few weeks ago and did a little work on the Jeep. Just a little project that I had wanted to do for a while but never got around to. I wanted to beef up the back of the frame, add some good recovery points, improve the departure angle, and setup for a future wheelbase stretch.

Here is a before pic with the rear bumper on. This bumper is now the rear frame cross-member

I started off removing everything from the rear of the frame. I tried to save the stock cross-member for a friend but there was no way I could find to cut all the welds so I just chopped it.

all clean

welded nuts inside the frame for CJ style shackle hangers

and inside the bumper for future XJ spring stretch.

Here is the bumper mocked up on the frame. Marked for d-ring mounts as well

The JKS slickrock hanger bolted in place. These things are major beef!

and on the far side you can see how the mounts will be run for XJ springs when the time comes.

and here its all welded up, d-ring mounts installed (weld through), added some additional bracing from the frame around the recovery points. I turned the bumper around backwards to get the receiver hitch in closer (I tested to make sure a hitch would still work this way first).

bgredjeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The shackles pictured are too long. Tonight I installed a pair from Copperhead that are about 1.5" shorter and the ride height looks just right. I'll get it out of the garage and get some finished pics this weekend.
bgredjeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 08:00 AM   #3
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nice! Looks real beefy now. The stock cross member is pretty sad. Scary when people bolt up bumpers to them without reinforcement and expect to be able to tug on them hard.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

This will be my next task while my rig is torn apart.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hey looks good and I am in the process of doing this. One question what did you do about the rear body mounts?
Unread 01-02-2009, 05:37 AM   #6
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone else have any ideas?
Unread 01-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

It actually looks like he may have skipped that step LOL. All you would need to do with his setup is not box in the ends and you could run a bolt straight up to the body mount. If you look at his pics, you can see the outer corners where the bolt was mounted and his bumper sits right under them.

If you did the crossmember so that it sat outside the tub edge, you could just make a tab on the inside of the bumer out of the scrap from making the bumper and mount it similar to the mid body frame mounts.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 01-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
E_ROCK
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Anyone else have any ideas?
You could also tie in the body like I did for my cage. It works as a body mount also. I put in comp cut corner protection and they eliminate the rear body mounts also.

You can see it in the rear wheel well in this picture. It sits right below my "C" pillar cage plate

www.rockfrogs.org
E_ROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #9
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

bgredjeep, are you using a fuel cell? Just wondering, because it looks like that angled frame brace, not to mention the shocks, would get in the way of the factory gas tank.

Nice job, BTW!
Unread 01-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #10
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
bgredjeep, are you using a fuel cell? Just wondering, because it looks like that angled frame brace, not to mention the shocks, would get in the way of the factory gas tank.

Nice job, BTW!
Fairly certain that is what he runs.

Unread 01-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Rusty the rear cross member is not close enough to run a bolt straight through the cross member but too close to run a truss from it for the body mount.
ERock someone else suggested the same thing. I have been waiting to tie my rear cage to the frame untill I did my stretch which is why I am doing the cross member fab. I guess I will go that route.
Just a little worried I would not have time to tie everything up before next run.
Hey Erock is that the same Jeep as you have always had? Last picture I can remember the body was in pretty bad shape.
Looks good!
Unread 01-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
CSCmrwizard
1982 CJ5 

nice!!! my old cj needs this thanks
CSCmrwizard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #13
91jeepkidd
1991 YJ Wrangler 

the stock shocks arent like that....

since im a nood and have MUCH to learn, why would someone make them on diff angles?

sorry for the thread jacking.

too bad theres no classes in college for jeeps hahah.
Unread 07-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
57plymouth
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Am I the only one that can't see the pictures?
Unread 07-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #15
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Looks like a pic link failure. I will contact the OP.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.