JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   custom length drive shaft (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/custom-length-drive-shaft-1499777/)

bogleparsons 03-27-2013 07:07 AM

custom length drive shaft

I'm taking the driveshaft I sourced from the salvage yard to a machinist freind today.

I have my measurement of 17.5" form SYE yoke to pinion yoke.

I don't know if he is real savvy on this type of work so my question is.

How much compression should my drive shaft have at ride height?

Anticanman 03-27-2013 07:43 AM

There's quite a bit of leeway on the YJ's. You'll probably be fine.

skyj 03-27-2013 09:42 AM

When I had my XJ shaft built the driveline shop told me he would set it up with ride height at half of the slip. So 1.5" in 1.5" out. He did the same last year with my front cv shaft. He builds drivelines all day long so I figured he knew what he was talking about. With that said I've been running it for two years now without a single problemo

bogleparsons 03-27-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyj (Post 15202231)
When I had my XJ shaft built the driveline shop told me he would set it up with ride height at half of the slip. So 1.5" in 1.5" out. He did the same last year with my front cv shaft. He builds drivelines all day long so I figured he knew what he was talking about. With that said I've been running it for two years now without a single problemo

Thanks skyj, awesome i'll tell him to just make sure the splines are centered for ride height.

i'm full of questions today,

so, should I have him drill and tap for a grease fitting somewhere?

I don't plan to run a boot because of all the mud.

SeanB95YJ 03-27-2013 10:50 AM

I'm not a machinist, so there might be issues I'm not aware of....

but rather than cutting at the slip side of the tube, I think I'd rather cut the yoke end of the tube... that way you're leaving the slip splines, grease fitting, etc all untouched.

but yeah, I'd say if he's set on cutting at the slip end, then definitely make sure you've got a zerk in there

bogleparsons 03-27-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ (Post 15202570)
I'm not a machinist, so there might be issues I'm not aware of....

but rather than cutting at the slip side of the tube, I think I'd rather cut the yoke end of the tube... that way you're leaving the slip splines, grease fitting, etc all untouched.

but yeah, I'd say if he's set on cutting at the slip end, then definitely make sure you've got a zerk in there

I haven't showed him the shaft yet and there is no factory grease zerk.

SeanB95YJ 03-27-2013 11:48 AM

wow... then yeah, regardless of which end it's cut, I'd have a zerk put in for the slip splines.

what was it from? every mid-slip shaft I've seen had one :confused:

instg8tor 03-27-2013 11:50 AM

for what its worth - it depends on your suspension system. On my yj with SOA suspension I have more droop that compression so I opted to have mine with an 1" compression at ride height, allowing for more driveshaft travel at droop.

bogleparsons 03-27-2013 01:25 PM

It's a front shaft from a 95' explorer. It had a "permanently greased" boot but no grease fitting.

The splines were super clean but I do t want a boot with the water and mud I like.

Anticanman 03-27-2013 02:01 PM

Is the explorer the same size yoke? Why did you get one from there?

bogleparsons 03-27-2013 07:54 PM

The explorer shaft was less expensive than an XJ or TJ shaft.

It uses the same 1310 u joints. I did have to also buy the adapter plate to the 8.8

The time now is 04:55 AM.