Custom length Deaver Springs for SUA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Custom length Deaver Springs for SUA

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
matrix311
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Custom length Deaver Springs for SUA

Hello all! I finally have some $$ coming my way and I want to finish some of the stuff on the YJ that i've been wanting to do. I was wondering if I could get your all's opinion on my thoughts for my suspension work. Currently I'm on a crappy rough country 4" lift with brand new currie shackles (h style up front and boomerang in rear). I'm also running cheap procom es3000 shocks all around.

My plan was to buy new Deaver springs and have them custom made to length. I do not want to go SOA so I was thinking of buying 5" longer springs and staying SUA. I would relocate the shock mounts on the body frame and move them inward towards the center of the Jeep. I figured with longer springs yet creating a 4.5" lift, they are going to be more flat vs a bigger bend if they were shorter. Just like SOA the springs are fairly flat creating a smooth ride. This is the concept i'm shooting for by staying SUA. I may be able to slightly stretch the wheel base a few inches up front and a few in back as well by doing this with the longer springs.

I also want to cut out the current shock towers and weld in some new shock towers to allow for longer travel shocks. I'm looking at buying the Bilstein 5100's all around. I currently have these on my JKUR and love them.

The other piece i'm debating on is doing a shackle reversal up front. My yj is mainly a trail rig. Here in Arizona we have rugged rocky terrain and I do lots of rock crawling with this Jeep. I do drive it short distances around town (to the gym and back) but it's not my DD. I do drive it to the trail and back as well. So with all that in mind, rock crawling and such, would shackle reversal be worth it? I know it will certainly help my approach angles moving that shackle out of the way but as far as keeping the geometry of the Jeep when wheeling, will it change much? I like how solid SUA feels and the center of gravity it provides, thats why I do not want to go SOA.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully someone reads this and chimes in with their opinion. Maybe someone has even done this and can list their pro's and con's before I go and spend all this money on new parts.

Thanks for the replies!

Unread 03-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Why not just use xj leaf springs?
Unread 03-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
matrix311
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Why not just use xj leaf springs?
I want to run some deavers. I've wheeled with a guy that had deavers on his yj and the thing flexed better then a bunch of tj's and jk's that were with us. He also said the ride quality was so much better on the trails and overall a great spring. So for a while i've been set on deavers and after getting a quote from them, the price is the same whether i choose to stay with stock length or want 5" longer springs. They build to order according to specs that are given.
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like a very good plan. had a set of springs made longer and wished i had done even longer then i had. 5" or so sounds good. keep in mind that the longer you go the more overhang front and rear you will have. not a fan of the offset holes myself or the xj packs. although many have done a great job with the xj springs i like the direction you want to go rather then copy whats seen a lot. i would not do the reversal and ill tell you why. with the opportunity to mount the springs any way you want, i would exaggerate the angle of the shackles a bit more then factory. the reason for this is sua suspensions are a bit hobbled when it comes to droop just by design. they tend to do much better on compression then the other direction. this is the opposite for soa. with a healthier angle it will allow the shackles to swing farther when drooping before reaching the end of the rotation. id experiment with 45* or so. if you do a reversal you will not be able to do this very easily. you either will have to notch the frame or put the mount below the frame on the shackle end. below the frame looks goofy and puts everything up too high. you will then have to make long spring hangers on the front. i also dont like the drawbacks of the reversal they seem to cancel out any positives if there even are any. my standard mounting have always driven just fine.
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
matrix311
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
sounds like a very good plan. had a set of springs made longer and wished i had done even longer then i had. 5" or so sounds good. keep in mind that the longer you go the more overhang front and rear you will have. not a fan of the offset holes myself or the xj packs. although many have done a great job with the xj springs i like the direction you want to go rather then copy whats seen a lot. i would not do the reversal and ill tell you why. with the opportunity to mount the springs any way you want, i would exaggerate the angle of the shackles a bit more then factory. the reason for this is sua suspensions are a bit hobbled when it comes to droop just by design. they tend to do much better on compression then the other direction. this is the opposite for soa. with a healthier angle it will allow the shackles to swing farther when drooping before reaching the end of the rotation. id experiment with 45* or so. if you do a reversal you will not be able to do this very easily. you either will have to notch the frame or put the mount below the frame on the shackle end. below the frame looks goofy and puts everything up too high. you will then have to make long spring hangers on the front. i also dont like the drawbacks of the reversal they seem to cancel out any positives if there even are any. my standard mounting have always driven just fine.
Thanks so much for the reply. I'm only about 25% wanting to do the shackle reversal and still leaning towards not doing it. Are you SUA with longer then stock springs? I would imagine by going with say the 5" longer spring and moving the spring mount locations inward, i'll have a 4.5" spring that's more flat and it should flex better and provide decent ride quality. Should be fun and i'm hoping everything works out according to plan. I'm still hoping for a few others to chime in on the subject.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
matrix311
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone else have some feedback?
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a good plan.
My question though why not use the money to get rid of the D35 and put lockers front and rear?
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
matrix311
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Sounds like a good plan.
My question though why not use the money to get rid of the D35 and put lockers front and rear?
check my signature, d35 is long gone. I've got ford 8.8, d30 with chromo's, lockers front/rear and 4.88 gears.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
rd94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I also wouldnt do the shackle reversal. I did some research on it a while back, and from my understanding a shackle in the front is much better than in the rear. Especially for rock crawling applications. Granted i was going to try and explain the differences but it has been a while since i have read up on all the research.
Alot of info out there on the pros and cons of shackle reversals.
As far as the deaver springs go, go for it, they make great custom springs. Stretch that wheelbase out!
rd94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix311 View Post
check my signature, d35 is long gone. I've got ford 8.8, d30 with chromo's, lockers front/rear and 4.88 gears.
Oops sorry, I was looking at your profile.
I also have looked into a reverse shackle.
I decided against it.
One of the positive though is not bending springs. Having a solid mount ,rather than a shackle in the front, would slide over the rock rather than pushing the spring back.
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a good plan to run the deavers but they are $$$. If you worried about center of gravity compared to SOA its going to be almost the same height in the end with the deavers. You'll also probably need longer shackles to clear the snail wrap they put on the ends. What size tires are you looking to run in the end?

Having run SRS I'd pass on it you can always do it later.
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
matrix311
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyj94 View Post
Sounds like a good plan to run the deavers but they are $$$. If you worried about center of gravity compared to SOA its going to be almost the same height in the end with the deavers. You'll also probably need longer shackles to clear the snail wrap they put on the ends. What size tires are you looking to run in the end?

Having run SRS I'd pass on it you can always do it later.
Just going to stick with 35's for now. Maybe later i'll bump up to 37's after these wear down and I have a stronger axle up front. I would be worried running anything larger then 35's on my super D30.

I told Deaver the shackles i'm currently running and they said these shackles are great with their springs. I'll double check one more time. I just bought brand new shackles last year. So we will see what they say.
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
DLWRUBI
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I like the idea of deavers with a 5" longer spring, and do a stretch at the same time, even better. I like the idea of having the axle centered on the spring, as close as possible anyway.

I have been looking into Deavers for about a year now myself. I also want a 2" stretch front and rear but never really came up with a good plan yet. A 5" longer spring with less arch sound like a good plan. I was thinking more in the lines of a 4" lift spring and keep using my 5/8" MORE shackles. That conbined with tube or high line fenders would be more than enough for 35-37" tires.

As for the shackle reversal, here is good simple little article on it http://www.jeeptech.com/susp/elkcahs/index.html. I have had a shackle reversal of mine for 17 years now and have had no ill side affects yet, but you do need a high travel front drive shaft. I'm not endorsing doing it you just have to weigh if it's beneficial for you or just a waste of time and expense. I don't think approch angle should be a factor in the decision though, but you most likely won't break/bend a spring/shackle if you hit something..
DLWRUBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
matrix311
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I do have a quick question as i'm about ready to order my new deavers. I'm still up in the air about ordering 4" springs or 4.5" springs. Will I need to change my drive shafts out if I go with 4.5" springs? Currently i'm on 4" rough country lift springs with a slight sag to them. I recently purchased new drive shafts and would hate to spend another $600 on new shafts. The 4.5" would be nice but if it requires me to buy new drive shafts then i'll stay with 4" springs. I have an SYE with cv rear driveshaft custom made to my current ride height. Does anyone know if it's safe to go to 4.5" or should I just stay with 4"? I'm running 35" tires and have no near future plans of moving to 37's.
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

With any stretch you will need to change your drivelines.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.