Custom leaf spring suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Custom leaf spring suspension

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 10-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
jeepwillikers
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Custom leaf spring suspension

So I just picked up a set of '89 Grand Waggy springs a few days ago (for $30!!!! ).
I have a few questions and could use advice from anyone who has it.

-How is rusty is too rusty to use when it comes to leaf springs?
-What is the best method for cleaning/restoring a 23 year old spring pack?
-painting springs? how should i do it?
-I need spring bushings, eye bolts, retainer clamps and a center pin. Any pointers on where to find these and what style i should use?

now to some more technical stuff.

I know that if i stretch the front wheelbase 2" with the waggys I will need a longer front driveshaft. exactly how much longer? just wondering if someone out there has an exact number.

Any ideas on levelling the back springs to match the front? Im looking for as cheap as possible for now. I have heard of using S10 leaves in the YJ pack but those S10s look awfully thick and I am thinking they would ride pretty rough. Are there other spring packs out there with thinner leaves that might work similar to the S10 leaves? Maybe XJs or something?

I also picked up a set of teraflex shock extension hoops from the guy who sold me the springs. They were $35 so i figured why not, right? As far as i can tell they will give me about 2" more travel. If i run a 1" shackle lift along with the ~2" waggys how much more travel can i run on my shocks. would all of these things combined allow at least 5" more? thats not even accounting for the axle being moved forward 2". That would run the shock at a slight angle necessitating more sock shaft length than actual physical vertical travel right?

Long story short, Shocks dont make complete sense to me and I have yet to wrap my mind completely around shock setup.

I am, however, planning to go high end with shocks to get the most out of my rig. In south jersey our trails are mostly sand with some mud and climbing mixed in so a good set of shocks will make all the difference. I am ready to invest in some reservoir shocks although i am not sure which manufacturer to go with or how much travel they should have.

If anyone has input or advice on any of these topics i am all ears.

jeepwillikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwillikers View Post
So I just picked up a set of '89 Grand Waggy springs a few days ago (for $30!!!! ).
I have a few questions and could use advice from anyone who has it.

-How is rusty is too rusty to use when it comes to leaf springs?
-What is the best method for cleaning/restoring a 23 year old spring pack?
-painting springs? how should i do it?
-I need spring bushings, eye bolts, retainer clamps and a center pin. Any pointers on where to find these and what style i should use?

now to some more technical stuff.

I know that if i stretch the front wheelbase 2" with the waggys I will need a longer front driveshaft. exactly how much longer? just wondering if someone out there has an exact number.

Any ideas on levelling the back springs to match the front? Im looking for as cheap as possible for now. I have heard of using S10 leaves in the YJ pack but those S10s look awfully thick and I am thinking they would ride pretty rough. Are there other spring packs out there with thinner leaves that might work similar to the S10 leaves? Maybe XJs or something?

I also picked up a set of teraflex shock extension hoops from the guy who sold me the springs. They were $35 so i figured why not, right? As far as i can tell they will give me about 2" more travel. If i run a 1" shackle lift along with the ~2" waggys how much more travel can i run on my shocks. would all of these things combined allow at least 5" more? thats not even accounting for the axle being moved forward 2". That would run the shock at a slight angle necessitating more sock shaft length than actual physical vertical travel right?

Long story short, Shocks dont make complete sense to me and I have yet to wrap my mind completely around shock setup.

I am, however, planning to go high end with shocks to get the most out of my rig. In south jersey our trails are mostly sand with some mud and climbing mixed in so a good set of shocks will make all the difference. I am ready to invest in some reservoir shocks although i am not sure which manufacturer to go with or how much travel they should have.

If anyone has input or advice on any of these topics i am all ears.

If they are really pitted then I wouldnt use them but if its just surface rust take a grinder with a wire bristle bit and go to town and deffinitly paint them or they will just rust again. Use some paint that will flex as well or it will just flake off. For bushings start at your autozone and move to the internet if you still cant find them.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
jeepwillikers
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah. They have some light pitting but it is very shallow. I think they will be ok. Its probably better than the springs I have now that are rusty and bent.
Unread 10-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwillikers View Post
Yeah. They have some light pitting but it is very shallow. I think they will be ok. Its probably better than the springs I have now that are rusty and bent.
Just as the previous poster just wire wheel them. As for retaining clamps I picked mine up at a trailer repair shop. Just ask for 2.5 retaining clamps. The center pin I just used a bolt and ground down the head same as old bolt.
For the front drive shaft I told you my measurements in your pic thread. But I wouldn't rely on that just measure for the shaft when you get it all bolted up. I lengthened mine 2"
Your shock hoops where a good buy. I would install them then flex your jeep out and measure your lengths both max droop and compression then find a vendor on here and ask what shock would work for your application. As I said before I'm running auto parts store shocks and they are ok. Bilsteins are going to be my first option when I get new ones.
Unread 10-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
jeepwillikers
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks skyj. I have to daily drive my jeep so once I get the shock hoops on I will have to drive without shocks until i get them ordered and stuff. From what I have read it is ok, if not ideal, to run around town without shocks for a short time. I thing i am going to upgrade the front shocks first and then do the rear shocks, because I want to relocate the mounting points. Im thinking of using something like the teraflex rear shock bar but im going to try to make something myself.

Still not sure on the rear springs. If I add a leaf or two from my stock front springs into the rear packs and do some 1" lift shackles would that do the trick at least until I can find/afford new rear springs?
Unread 10-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would think it would
Unread 10-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would do 1" shackles and a bastard pack and you should be ok. You might have to play with it to get the ride height right.
Be careful with no shocks it it pretty bouncey without them.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.