Custom Hood Decals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Custom Hood Decals

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Psyclops
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Custom Hood Decals

Hey folks, just wondered if anyone has done any hood decals? I'm a designer and work at a sign shop so it was pretty easy for me to make a blackout decal and I had a hard time finding any ideas online, seems like there aren't many options available especially for YJs. If anyone is interested I could possibly make some for sale, I live in Vancouver BC Canada though so there would be shipping costs. My design background is in hiphop music album covers so I have a lot of experience making things look aggressive and cool lol.. It's not super easy to install something like this with shapes cut out though, so you might want to pay a sign company to put it on for you. Anyways post a pic of your hood decals (blackout top or names along side of hood) if you have some, I'm interested in seeing what's out there.

I know I used the TJ wrangler logo but I couldn't find a YJ version I was able to use.

Psyclops is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

That thing looks like a bear to put on...
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When I'm driving through the woods, I put Jurassic Park magnets on my half doors. Not quite a JP jeep, but people do take a lot of cell phone pictures.
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Cainley
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Should try a CDC magnet. Bet they don't come near you.
Cainley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The CDC decal goes on the side of this:
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Damn, that bear graphic looks awesome. If I wasn't running a poison spyder hood louver I would be all over that.

EDIT: Since you wanted to see what we are running, this is from before I got a new hood and the PS louver. The solid blue and red border are painted on, and the white star is a vinyl cut I found somewhere online. They seemed to hold up pretty well for a few years even through midwest winters and offroad trips followed by a good hard powerwashing.

Unread 08-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
Cainley
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Psyclops - Check your PM I might have work for you.

As for the CDC - Looks more like an industrial roof rack. Might be the wrong application.
Cainley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
snowplowdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I do vinyl graphics for a sign company where I live. I do some occasional graphics for cars & trucks in my spare time and it's really not very difficult to install them. One of my co workers bought his own plotter for at home and does graphics on race cars on the side. I know he's pretty reasonable and has a library of a lot of different logos to work with. I'll have to find out if he has a website set up.
Unread 08-27-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

A gal in my local Jeep club has one of those vinyl multi-colored wraps on her hood like companies who advertise use. She had them print out the map section of the area in her country that she was from. It's a really cool wrap. I could see doing the same for mine, but I probably wouldn't do a blackout wrap. I could see a team logo, like for the Pittsburgh Steelers, in the blackout, but I'm not sure if that would get you in trouble with licensing or not.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave
A gal in my local Jeep club has one of those vinyl multi-colored wraps on her hood like companies who advertise use. She had them print out the map section of the area in her country that she was from. It's a really cool wrap. I could see doing the same for mine, but I probably wouldn't do a blackout wrap. I could see a team logo, like for the Pittsburgh Steelers, in the blackout, but I'm not sure if that would get you in trouble with licensing or not.
I have thought about a full vehicle wrap on a few of the jeeps I've refurbished, but I just don't think they will hold up to the trails well. Probably because to make it cost effective, I'd use the thin cheap stuff. But then again, a few hours with a sander and $500 gets me a single stage paint job. So it makes the wraps too much at $1000 including labor.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club Club #91

05 LJ Rubi "Ghost" 4.0L Auto NV241 D44/44 locked 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s
Luuca is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #11
1morecj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

1morecj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #12
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've always been madly in love with the Golden Eagle
Unread 08-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #13
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in for either a biohazard symbol to go edge to edge or a Nuclear Radiation hazard symbol to go edge to edge.
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #14
redrider808
1993 YJ Wrangler 

redrider808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #15
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
I have thought about a full vehicle wrap on a few of the jeeps I've refurbished, but I just don't think they will hold up to the trails well. Probably because to make it cost effective, I'd use the thin cheap stuff. But then again, a few hours with a sander and $500 gets me a single stage paint job. So it makes the wraps too much at $1000 including labor.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.
Don't do a full wrap - do a hood wrap like that gal did. It's far cheaper, and for most trails a hood wrap isn't going to get destroyed. It all depends if you have something to project or say, or if a single color (i.e. paint) is all you want people and yourself to see.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.