Currie Dana 44 axle swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Currie Dana 44 axle swap

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
montec
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Currie Dana 44 axle swap

hey all, i apologize in advance if this has already been asked, but i searched the forum and couldn't find anything.

i am in the process of swapping my stock axles for Currie built Dana 44's front and rear. these are to my understanding TJ rubicon axles that they have kept the same width and beefed up the tubes and inner C's, e.t.c. i was told they would bolt in and i could reuse the stock Dana 30 outer C's and steering components. i have a 5" Alcan spring under lift with 1" shackles. i also have a dropped pitman arm installed. the problem is the stock steering drag link hits the diff cover before i get to full turn left or right. it also contacts the springs before i can get to full droop. i am also afraid the dropped pitman arm is going to make contact with the top of my diff housing when i flex the suspension. i am not sure what my options are to fix this. do i need new steering knuckles? if i need new stuff, please let me know how and where i can get it. has anyone swapped in these axles before? i appreciate the help.

montec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

maybe a tie rod flip? i think you can lose the DP if you do it. but i have no experience with the currie 44
Unii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
montec
1995 YJ Wrangler 

is a tie rod flip the same as a high steer kit? did you have a particular manufacturer in mind or is it something i can do myself? i have began the search for a high steer kit but i am not sure what to look for as far as strength and quality. i want it to remain safe to drive at highway speeds. thanks for the help.
Unread 06-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did you order these axles from Currie or are they second hand?
Unread 06-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
montec
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i ordered them through 4 wheelparts... it was cheaper than straight through Currie. i did call Currie this morning and asked them for help. they said that i could dent in the cover enough for the rod to clear. however, it came with an ARB cover so i don't think that's going to happen. AND, it doesn't address the fact that it is also contacting my springs before full droop. he also suggested a high steer kit and gave me one example. this particular kit utilizes the dana 30 outer C's and you grind, drill, and tap them to accept the new arms. i am wondering now if that comprimises strength or if it is better to be looking at just upgrading to 44 outers. of course that seems to have its share of issues too. i am not sure which is the best way to go overall and was hoping someone has been down this road before...
Unread 06-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

a tie rod flip isnt the same as high steer from what i understand, go look for "go-for-it" products they are the leader in TRFs from what ive seen...
Unii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would go with the kit Currie suggested.
In order to change to 44 outers you would also have to grind the Cs off and replace them with 44 Cs.
The Dana 30 Cs will not accept the Dana 44 ball joints. I do not think that would fix your problem unless you went high steer with the 44 outers, which would put you right back to where you are now.

Another option might be to use a standard diff cover.
Unread 06-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
montec
1995 YJ Wrangler 

good info to know. i was under the impression this axle would accept 30 OR 44 outers. i will have to dig deeper into my high steer options or this tie rod flip idea. has anyone used one of these kits?
Unread 06-15-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by montec View Post
good info to know. i was under the impression this axle would accept 30 OR 44 outers. i will have to dig deeper into my high steer options or this tie rod flip idea. has anyone used one of these kits?
Not unless Currie has some type of aftermarket 44 outers that would work.
The ball joints on every 44 I have seen are pressed into the steering knuckle then bolted on the Cs.
The 30 ball joints are pressed on the Cs then the steering knuckle is bolted on.
Unread 06-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
montec
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i better check with Currie on that. i'm guessing you are right.

now you have me thinking... is that another option? i have been looking at kits that modify the existing knuckles, does the aftermarket make new high steer knuckles in the Dana 30 style?
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
cheapjeep71
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You can buy a high steer kit for a Dana 30 @ 4WD Hardware or Quadratec. They are around $500.(not to cheap!)
cheapjeep71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #12
montec
1995 YJ Wrangler 

way more than i want to spend! but if i need to... that's why i am asking the questions. if i have to invest i want to make sure i am getting the right setup. i am hoping you guys will show me what all my options are! has anybody else had this problem?
Unread 06-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
montec
1995 YJ Wrangler 

surely more people have ran into this problem and fixed it. i am guessing when you add heavy duty steering rods you up the chances of hitting on the differential cover. i am going to do a mock flip today with my stock rods and see if it will clear the cover...
Unread 06-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

just out of curiosity why did you swap your hp 30 out for a lp 44(you said it was a rubi)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #15
montec
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i wanted to go with a 5.38 gear and it hasn't been available for the 30.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.