Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar Any Good? - JeepForum.com
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 08-21-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Vernors
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar Any Good?

I've just run into a situation where it looks like I have to run a Currie Anti-Rock front sway bar, or some sort of equivalent.

My current configuration of knuckle/tie-rod/shackle reversal for the Dana 30 prevents the use of the stock sway bar as the draglink doesn't clear

Does anyone use the Currie, what are your thoughts on it? Is there another manufacturer that also sells something similar? Has anyone built their own?

Anyone have a used Anti-Rock that they would be willing to sell?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 08-21-2017, 10:29 AM
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you really have the need for a sway bar? I don't have your suspension setup but have been running without for a couple years now.
post #3 of 43 Old 08-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
Do you really have the need for a sway bar? I don't have your suspension setup but have been running without for a couple years now.
Not one of our Jeeps have a sway bar.
The sway bar is worse than the trac bar by a country mile.

My Jeep is NOT a Fiat!

post #4 of 43 Old 08-21-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Vernors
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Oh THAT is interesting, well it's coming off and I'll soon know how it drives. All the track bars have been removed and if I can roll without a sway bar, and not feel like I'm going to tip over on-road, I'd be really happy. Great to know others have removed theirs, I just assumed it was needed to be safe. Not expecting the YJ to 'handle', just to be stable. Thanks for chiming in, it's a relief to know that others feel it's unnecessary. Fingers crossed!
post #5 of 43 Old 08-21-2017, 02:44 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
The sway bar is worse than the trac bar by a country mile.
Not starting ****, but...

the factory added the track bar to the Yj under duress from safety moms and idiot who flipped CJs like pancakes. The trac bar was superfluous from it's inception. A waste of steel, serving no purpose.

Sway Bars come as standard equipment on every motor vehicle produced today. Sway bars keep the body level under medium to hard turns at speed, keeping the tires in contact with the road. Sway bars are not superfluous; rather they are beneficial in nearly every emergency maneuver in a vehicle.

Just because your type of driving, traffic conditions, and driving environment allow you to remove the sway bars and still feel safe behind the wheel, does not mean that sway bars are "worse than track bars by a country mile" Sway bars help, track bars, on a leaf-sprung vehicle, are superfluous.

I have the Antirock Currie sway bar on my LJ. They work fairly well for So Cal driving (then again, I'm a cautious driver) but I would not let my daughter drive the LJ to Idaho without changing the stiffness to the stiffest setting for safety.

91 YJ "Alice" 4.0L, AX-15, NP 231 Flange, Adams Driveshafts F/R, 2.5" OME 36Rs, 5/8" /f12 Booms, 32" Yoko ATs, 4.10 D30/35 AutoLockers F/R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM never
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #6 of 43 Old 08-21-2017, 03:02 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
Not starting ****, but...

the factory added the track bar to the Yj under duress from safety moms and idiot who flipped CJs like pancakes. The trac bar was superfluous from it's inception. A waste of steel, serving no purpose.

Sway Bars come as standard equipment on every motor vehicle produced today. Sway bars keep the body level under medium to hard turns at speed, keeping the tires in contact with the road. Sway bars are not superfluous; rather they are beneficial in nearly every emergency maneuver in a vehicle.

Just because your type of driving, traffic conditions, and driving environment allow you to remove the sway bars and still feel safe behind the wheel, does not mean that sway bars are "worse than track bars by a country mile" Sway bars help, track bars, on a leaf-sprung vehicle, are superfluous.

I have the Antirock Currie sway bar on my LJ. They work fairly well for So Cal driving (then again, I'm a cautious driver) but I would not let my daughter drive the LJ to Idaho without changing the stiffness to the stiffest setting for safety.
They are way worse when it comes to articulation.
That's the sway bar's whole purpose in life. And I also had a chance to test it when I crashed a few months ago.
I slid my Jeep sideways at 50 mph before t-boning the Lexus.
It was not scary till I plowed into her car somewhat sideways.

I figure every Jeep is different though. Different height, springs shocks, tires ect.
He hasn't driven his jeep yet. Maybe he should drive it and see how it handles.
I also understand your daughter having a sway bar.
You'll find one under my 17 yr old's jeep for now.
Luuca and gotswap like this.

My Jeep is NOT a Fiat!
post #7 of 43 Old 08-21-2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Vernors
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Never had a vehicle without a sway bar and it makes sense that under an emergency maneuver they would be beneficial. I've always upgraded swaybars on cars as a standard improvement and it will be interesting to see how the jeep performs without one. To your point, when sh*t goes down I'd rather have better chances at recovery than not. LA traffic sucks and people drive crazy....

I was really surprised that the YJ didn't come stock with a rear swaybar. Never seen that before. Regardless, no sway is the near future....a Currie may find its way onto the YJ at some point. We'll see....
post #8 of 43 Old 08-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernors View Post
Never had a vehicle without a sway bar and it makes sense that under an emergency maneuver they would be beneficial. I've always upgraded swaybars on cars as a standard improvement and it will be interesting to see how the jeep performs without one. To your point, when sh*t goes down I'd rather have better chances at recovery than not. LA traffic sucks and people drive crazy....

I was really surprised that the YJ didn't come stock with a rear swaybar. Never seen that before. Regardless, no sway is the near future....a Currie may find its way onto the YJ at some point. We'll see....
You remove it when you wheel, right?
Check it out and see how it feels on your Jeep, then make your decision.

Don't know if you knew, but in June I was in a crash with my Jeep.
Not only a panic maneuver, but actually slid sideways at 50 and t-boned a Lexus.
The lack of a sway bar was a non issue.
But that's also on my Jeep. So if yours doesn't inspire confidence, by all means, replace the sway bar.
And I was also wrong up there. One of our Jeeps has a sway bar, but he's a new driver.

My Jeep is NOT a Fiat!
post #9 of 43 Old 08-21-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Vernors
1988 YJ Wrangler 

First time jeep owner. Bought a broken, non-runner and have restored and upgraded. No wheeling yet (with this vehicle) but will definitely test it out before buying the Currie. I'm not expecting a rock star driver, but as you say it must inspire confidence...if not, upgrades will be required. I'll circle back around and post feedback once on the road. Gonna be a few weeks though with the long list of stuff still pending....
Chrisnvegas likes this.
post #10 of 43 Old 08-21-2017, 04:06 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
First time jeep owner. Bought a broken, non-runner and have restored and upgraded. No wheeling yet (with this vehicle) but will definitely test it out before buying the Currie. I'm not expecting a rock star driver, but as you say it must inspire confidence...if not, upgrades will be required. I'll circle back around and post feedback once on the road. Gonna be a few weeks though with the long list of stuff still pending....
My daughters YJ has QR Sway Bar links. Takes them off to wheel, back on for on-road stuff. She doesn't know the jeep will be fine on-road without them, and even though if she had to leave them off, it wouldn't make too big of a deal (until inexperience or craptastic drivers caused an emergency situation) I still want her to run it on hers. She's 22. so ya.. you never stop being Dad.

91 YJ "Alice" 4.0L, AX-15, NP 231 Flange, Adams Driveshafts F/R, 2.5" OME 36Rs, 5/8" /f12 Booms, 32" Yoko ATs, 4.10 D30/35 AutoLockers F/R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM never
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #11 of 43 Old 08-21-2017, 06:27 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd drive it without it and see how it feels to you, just remember it's a Jeep not a sportscar.

Ruff Suff also sells a similar style bar but there's no cheap alternative to that type of sway bar if you go that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #12 of 43 Old 08-21-2017, 09:37 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You remove it when you wheel, right?
Check it out and see how it feels on your Jeep, then make your decision.

Don't know if you knew, but in June I was in a crash with my Jeep.
Not only a panic maneuver, but actually slid sideways at 50 and t-boned a Lexus.
The lack of a sway bar was a non issue.
But that's also on my Jeep. So if yours doesn't inspire confidence, by all means, replace the sway bar.
And I was also wrong up there. One of our Jeeps has a sway bar, but he's a new driver.
I agree with you that off road the sway bar sucks (which is why I have disconnects, it makes the front of my Jeep have about 2" of articulation) I have driven my Jeep on the highway at 70mph with the sway bar disconnected and it drove okay.

You keep mentioning that you slid sideways into the Lexus, and I am getting the impression you are thinking the sway bar was useless because you did not roll the Jeep. Sway bars (anti-roll bars) will not stop a car from rolling and that is not even their intended purpose. Sway bars only affect the rate at which load is transferred from left to right. Stiff sway bars will make a vehicle corner more flat, but the weight transfer is still the same, and with a roll bar you are actually more likely to lift a tire in a sharp corner.

Without knowing what happened I can't say for sure but the fact that you managed to get the Jeep sideways without the front sway bar is testament to why Jeeps have sway bars. On a very basic level of chassis tuning the end of the car with the stiffer sway bar will loose traction first, which is why on every production vehicle ever made the front is either the only end with a sway bar or the front bar is much larger than the rear, this is because in panic situations understeer is much easier to control than oversteer. Had you of had a front sway bar the Jeep probably wouldn't have turned sideways and you may have been able to drive around the person you slid into.

Sway bars also increase the responsiveness of a vehicle, but on a lifted Jeep with a lot of side wall and low tire pressure the responsiveness of a sway bar won't be noticed.

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
post #13 of 43 Old 08-21-2017, 10:05 PM
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
I agree with you that off road the sway bar sucks (which is why I have disconnects, it makes the front of my Jeep have about 2" of articulation) I have driven my Jeep on the highway at 70mph with the sway bar disconnected and it drove okay.

You keep mentioning that you slid sideways into the Lexus, and I am getting the impression you are thinking the sway bar was useless because you did not roll the Jeep. Sway bars (anti-roll bars) will not stop a car from rolling and that is not even their intended purpose. Sway bars only affect the rate at which load is transferred from left to right. Stiff sway bars will make a vehicle corner more flat, but the weight transfer is still the same.

Without knowing what happened I can't say for sure but the fact that you managed to get the Jeep sideways without the front sway bar is testament to why Jeeps have sway bars. On a very basic level of chassis tuning the end of the car with the stiffer sway bar will loose traction first, which is why on every production vehicle ever made the front is either the only end with a sway bar or the front bar is much larger than the rear, this is because in panic situations understeer is much easier to control than oversteer. Had you of had a front sway bar the Jeep probably wouldn't have turned sideways and you may have been able to drive around the person you slid into.

Sway bars also increase the responsiveness of a vehicle, but on a lifted Jeep with a lot of side wall and low tire pressure the responsiveness of a sway bar won't be noticed.

I'll help you.
The car turned out in front of me, figured out it was a mistake and acted like they were going to stop.
I turned the wheel to the left but didn't have enough space to maneuver.

If I were in my car with anti-lock brakes, I still couldn't have stopped.

She turned RIGHT out in front of me and I pushed her 25 feet down the road.
I know what sway bars do.
My Jeep is comfortable to drive, doesn't lean too bad around corners.

My Jeep is NOT a Fiat!
post #14 of 43 Old 08-21-2017, 10:13 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I know what sway bars do.
My Jeep is comfortable to drive, doesn't lean too bad around corners.
Then you understand that controlling body roll is the secondary purpose of sway bars, and if you are judging how the Jeep drives based solely on the amount of body roll it has, you haven't the slightest clue of how the Jeep really drives.

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
post #15 of 43 Old 08-22-2017, 10:04 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe we should try to get back on topic.....

Quote:
I've just run into a situation where it looks like I have to run a Currie Anti-Rock front sway bar, or some sort of equivalent.

My current configuration of knuckle/tie-rod/shackle reversal for the Dana 30 prevents the use of the stock sway bar as the draglink doesn't clear

Does anyone use the Currie, what are your thoughts on it? Is there another manufacturer that also sells something similar? Has anyone built their own?

Anyone have a used Anti-Rock that they would be willing to sell?
johnboy68 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.