A cure for clicky lifters? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Xpress
1996 ZJ 

Garage
A cure for clicky lifters?

Does anyone know of any tricks to curing clicky lifters? Not a permanent fix, just one to last a few months until I find a suitable vehicle to overhaul the Jeep.

I think it's only one that is clicking, not 100% positive, only clicks under load.

All about that unibody life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 PM
jokerchief462
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Drop a quart of oil and out in one quart if ATF.

Marvel Mystery oil. Lucas oil additive.

89YJ 2.5L TBI, AX-5, NP231 SYE, Ford 8.8, Yukon Grizzly, Tom Woods Shaft, 33" BFG T/As, 4" lift, Warn VR10000s.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
post #3 of 20 Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Trans fluid will also help. Could be a collapsed lifter caused by debris in the plunger.

post #4 of 20 Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 PM
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i can vouch for the Marvel Mystery oil, although I used it on older SBC's. Its basically moly disulphide in an oil base (as opposed to the usual grease)

***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
post #5 of 20 Old 03-08-2013, 04:21 AM
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Drain oil. Add 1 qt Lucas. Fill with Rotella T 15W40. Enjoy a quiet engine.

418 miles on 19 gallons of gas. Can't beat the BBD !
post #6 of 20 Old 03-08-2013, 05:28 AM
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
Drain oil. Add 1 qt Lucas. Fill with Rotella T 15W40. Enjoy a quiet engine.
^^^^ This. I switched to rotella a while back and you should have *seen* the crap that came out of the engine the first few times I changed it. Looked like road tar.

***--- Wrecking Crew member ---***
"I've prolly been around longer than you think"
post #7 of 20 Old 03-08-2013, 08:12 AM
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I will second the quart of ATF, right before the last oil change I added a quart of ATF and drove it for a few hundred miles then did an oil and filter change with IIRC Quaker State High Mileage 10-40.
Man was that oil ugly when it came out and it had only been in there for 4k miles, looked like tar alright.

Now I no longer have any clicking lifters.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Member of the Gear Grinders 4WD Club
post #8 of 20 Old 03-08-2013, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Xpress
1996 ZJ 

Garage
I think I will give the ATF a shot, since it's so dirt cheap. I'm hoping the issue goes away for a while.

All about that unibody life.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 AM
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Rotella quieted mine down, but it wasn't an instant fix. Took some time.

What I did was put 1/2 a bottle of Seafoam in, drove it about 30 miles. Then I changed the oil to Rotella. Drove about 100 miles and then changed the filter and topped it off. Drove it another 2000 or so and then repeated the process.

Since then I've just been changing every 3000, Rotella 10w40 in the winter and 15x40 in the summer.

Sometimes I get a little clicking when idling, but if I give it a little gas, it goes away.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-08-2013, 08:08 PM
General Purpose
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here is one for you. and I did it. 10,000 miles ago and it runs like a champ. first off I tried Seafoam and other products with no good results. My lifter was stuck and noisy. I drained my Oil. to about one liter of Oil. added 4 liters of Varsol, and fired up the motor. I let it idle for about 5 min and then drained it, added new oil and filter ran it for about 20 min then drained it as well and replaced the oil and filter. It has ran better then ever. no noise nothing. It is hard on the seals but mine were already leaking and due to be replaced. I did it, was told to do it by old timers who did this back in the day. I had nothing to lose. I was looking for an excuse to rip the motor down and stroke it. Well not yet, I bought time. Did a compression test. all good. As long as you don't put it under load and go for a scenic drive you wont hurt the motor Varsol has lubricating properties.
post #11 of 20 Old 03-10-2013, 10:19 AM
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

HOLY COW! I can't believe what I just read. I posted the ATF trick several months ago and got nothing but hell from everyone for the suggestion. I'm glad you all came around and discovered that it does work and it's cheaper and better than the snake oil additives.

MCLMM
post #12 of 20 Old 03-10-2013, 10:38 AM
jokerchief462
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yeah they weren't very charitable last time this came up. I am old school and was taught this back in the late 60's. I guess new ideas and new products have some thinking different.

89YJ 2.5L TBI, AX-5, NP231 SYE, Ford 8.8, Yukon Grizzly, Tom Woods Shaft, 33" BFG T/As, 4" lift, Warn VR10000s.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
post #13 of 20 Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 AM
General Purpose
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
HOLY COW! I can't believe what I just read. I posted the ATF trick several months ago and got nothing but hell from everyone for the suggestion. I'm glad you all came around and discovered that it does work and it's cheaper and better than the snake oil additives.
I had nothing to lose and tried everything else. I knew my seals needed to be replaced and the plans was to stroke the motor. I did not even read it on the Internet. One time deal. Now I keep the oil changes on a schedule. Believe me I thought this Mechanic was out of his mind when he told me this. I started to ask more about it and got the same answer but with Diesel as well. respectfully , I never posted this flush in the beginning because I did not know what to expect. I waited till I got miles on the motor and to see if the lifter noise came back ,or if I did damage something else. Now I will post my results. Or today is the day I fire her up and the motor blows up.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 AM
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The problem with the ATF trick is the tolerances of the newer engines. ATF has less lubricity and more "detergents" in it than engine oil, both have the ability to 'wash' out the bearings in the newer engines due to the tighter tolerances. Less room between the bearing and the (insert rotating assembly component here) the higher chance you have of destoying something with a lower lubricity product.

Back in the day, I remember running 2 quarts of ATF in a motor than got some water in it. Never had any issues. I also remember old timers pouring a cup of kerosene into the the oil just before changing it. Using kerosene and Marvel Mystery Oil to loosen up a rusted tractor engine. Poured it right in the spark plug bung, let it sit over night, cranked it over the next morning and it fired up with some fresh gas.couldn't do anything like that nowadays

91 YJ, 350/700R4/231, 8.8/HPD30 with 3.73s, 6" SOA with 38" TSLs. If I ever see the previous owner again, I am going to curb stomp that meth-head brain dead crackpot.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-10-2013, 10:55 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
I think I will give the ATF a shot, since it's so dirt cheap. I'm hoping the issue goes away for a while.
What I've heard is STRONGLY against that. It's a popular folk remedy but ATF will quickly oxidize and deterioriate under engine temperatures, and cause all sorts of issues.

If you're going to use an additive, use something formulated for the purpose.

One more thing, if it ticks louder under load, it's almost certainly not a lifter. A lifter does not 'feel' the load (unlike a bearing) because it only works against the valve spring.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.