Cruise Control Install on '92 YJ, 4.0L, 5 speed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cruise Control Install on '92 YJ, 4.0L, 5 speed

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Cruise Control Install on '92 YJ, 4.0L, 5 speed

Mfr: Rostra
Rostra P/N: 250-1223
Source: Summit Racing

Control Panel Mfr: Rostra
Control Panel P/N: 250-3592
(This is the open circuit switch with the “Engaged” LED)
Source: Summit Racing

Additional parts required: 5 post relay to wire in this particular Control Panel (I forget the part number, but mine is Duralast from Autozone)

Optional Parts: Universal (Clutch) Disengagement Switch
Mfr: Rostra
Rostra P/N: 250-4206

cyoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

1. SET THE DIP SWITCHES BEFORE MOUNTING.

Dip Switch settings:
1 & 2 Gain Sensitivity: #1 OFF
#2 ON

3 – 6 Pulses/Mile (Pulses/Kilometer) #3 ON
For the Jeep this is set at 8,000/m (5,000/k) #4 ON
#5 OFF
#6 OFF

7 – 9 Engine/Setup Timer #7 OFF
Set to 6 Cylinder/Low #8 ON
#9 OFF

10 VSS Source #10 ON
Using vehicles computer this is set to
“Square Wave Input”

11 Transmission (Manual) #11 OFF

12 Control Switch (Open Circuit) #12 OFF
cruise-dip-switches.jpg  
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

2. Cruise unit install: To keep the required distance from the coil and distributor; the only reasonable mounting location I could find in my YJ's engine bay was to attach it to the support rod using 5/16” cable clamps from Tractor Supply.
The linkage is included in a universal parts kit included with the cruise control unit. I used some of the leftover linkage parts to complete the installation of my hand throttle.

3. Control panel install: The control panel had to be in close proximity to the hand throttle for the times when it's necessary for me to use them. I made a shift “knob” using four mountain bike handle bar extenders or grips. This required four sets of them since they come in left/right sets, and I had to use the same angle on all sections for it to work correctly.
The control panel itself is mounted on a bar extender that I sawed off and flattened in a vise.
img_0052.jpg   img_0053.jpg   img_0056.jpg   img_0058.jpg   shifter-4.jpg  

shifter-6.jpg  

Last edited by cyoos; 09-12-2012 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: Added step 3
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

4. The “TACH” wire splices into the negative side of the coil. On my '92 this is a Yellow wire with a Black Stripe. I spliced into it at the connector inboard, below, and slightly forward of the battery.
connector-yel-blk-negative-coil-wire-tach-signal-.jpg  
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

5. I grounded both Black ground wires from the cruise unit to a common ground inboard of the battery on the firewall.
engine-bay-ground-point-inboard-battery.jpg  
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

6. The wire harness routes into the passenger compartment through the factory firewall grommet.
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

7. The VSS wire terminates to the White wire with the Orange Stripe. I opted to terminate this in the instrument panel at the instrument cluster connector.
instrument-cluster-spd-tach-connector-wht-org-wire-speed-signal-.jpg  
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

8. The Brake Positive wire terminates to the Pink wire in the brake light switch harness.

9. The Brake Negative wire terminates to the White wire in the brake light switch harness. (This will not work with LED brake lights since it's signal is seeking ground. If you have LED's, you'll have to install an incandescent bulb in the circuit to make it function properly.)
brake-switch-harness-above-ac-blower-pink-hot-side-white-cold-side-switch.jpg  
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

10. The Gray back lighting wire for the LED's on the control panel, I connected to the second wire down from the pink wire on the dimmer. This wire varied in voltage using the dimmer switch when I checked it with the meter, but the LED's don't dim. No big deal, the rest of it works well.
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

11. The control panel requires a 5 post relay. Two posts are connected to the same ignition activated power source. I spliced into the primary “CRUISE” power wire since it's already switched at the fuse block. The Orange wire from the cruise unit, and the Pink wire from the control panel also connect to the relay. Diagram in the installation manual is self-explanatory for them.
img_0132.jpg  
Unread 09-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
cyoos
1992 YJ Wrangler 

12. The Blue and Black wires from the Control Panel are grounded at the drivers door strap post.

13. The fuse block already has a contact for “CRUISE”.

I think that's it. The unit works great. I didn't install the disengagement switch, but I might. Without it, when you disengage the clutch the engine will race up by about 1,000 rpm momentarily before the “TACH” feature shuts down the unit.
fuse-block-connection.jpg  

Last edited by cyoos; 09-13-2012 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: Added picture of fuse block

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.