CRT HEI Gear ... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CRT HEI Gear ...

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 05-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
shoebone
1990 YJ Wrangler 

CRT HEI Gear ...

....... So I just installed the CRT HEI and coupled with the MC2150 the motor runs excellently, I'm really happy, but, just wondered, should I of changed the gear on the new dizzy? It is a hardened gear and I read that some people change it for a soft gear, but a lot of people run with the hardened gear. If I have to change it where would I get the soft gear ? anybody got a part number? or ... has anybody covered loads of miles with the HEI as is ?
Thanks for your insight

shoebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Did you test the gear for hardness? There is a thread on the CJ forum that tells how to test.
Unread 05-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #3
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the CRT distributor gear is the correct one. I have had mine for over 5 years with no problems, probably over 35,000 miles. when I had my motor rebuilt I asked the rebuilder if he noticed any wear and he said everything was fine.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
Tarpo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My CRT had the hardened gear, and it ate my cam shaft gear on my 4.2 after about 25000. When I did my engine swap I kept the CRT, I just swapped the dizzy gear for the softer one
Unread 05-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
shoebone
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Tarpo,
Do you remember where you got the softer gear from?
The CRT gear is definatly harder, I tried drilling it and the drill bit just slid off. I had no trouble drilling the original gear.
Unread 05-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Tarpo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebone
Tarpo,
Do you remember where you got the softer gear from?
The CRT gear is definatly harder, I tried drilling it and the drill bit just slid off. I had no trouble drilling the original gear.
My father in law owns a machine shop, he used the lathe and did some work on the original gear to make it fit on the CRT. I figured that would be my safest bet considering it came from the factory with that exact metal.
Unread 05-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

you guys got me wondering about mine, but I've got quite a few miles on it. probably 25k before the rebuild, a little more than 10k since. maybe I'll pull the distributor and take a look, I'll let you know what I find.

Unread 05-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

just pulled my distributor, could only see about 1/3 of the cam gear but it looked good.

Unread 05-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
shoebone
1990 YJ Wrangler 

25K miles, 35K miles ..... that's about ten years for me! I'll probably just run with the hard gear and see what happens
Unread 05-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Tarpo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob
just pulled my distributor, could only see about 1/3 of the cam gear but it looked good.
When it is starting to wear, it will look sharp on the edges. It may never wear out on you, but it did sneak up on me. And left me stranded.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.