CRT HEI distributor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CRT HEI distributor

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 04-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Reverb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

CRT HEI distributor

My jeep cut out on me this morning (AGAIN) and I had to take it to a shop to fix. They are telling me its the coil in the distributor. As far as I know they are based on GM HEI modules. What can I tell them to get to replace it?

Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
pushead

Go to CRT's webite and look it up. I dont remember the specs but NAPA had it.
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
vector6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

standard GM HEI coil from advance auto / auto zone...
vector6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

mid 80's chevy 250, 6 cyl is the original base design.

the coil mounts to the distributor cap
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Reverb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies all. turns out it was the module not the coil. Ended up costing me $210+tax!! highway robbers!!
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just checked some part numbers on Summit and the 350 and 250 applications are the same, so you should be able to get pretty much any HEI coil. You could just pull an application from this link... Summit Racing SUM-850011 - Summit Racing® HEI Ignition Coils - Overview - SummitRacing.com
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the module with one from Pertronix for about 60 bucks if i remember. I am not sure which one you need though, but i would check out Summit Racing like Timatoe mildly suggested.
JohndKc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

210.00 bucks!!!! Did you tell them you just needed a new module, not a new jeep!!!!
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
vector6
2001 TJ Wrangler 

module...
Proform Parts 66944C - Proform High Performance Ignition Modules - Overview - SummitRacing.com
vector6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Thanks for the replies all. turns out it was the module not the coil. Ended up costing me $210+tax!! highway robbers!!
Ohhh, didn't see this when I first posted. Yeah, I bought a module at Kragen for like $24 when I first built mine. Hell they've got an entire replacement distributor for like $120 you just got to swap your current tip and gear.
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
Reverb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I had my hands tied. I was broken down on the grand central pkwy - AAA don't cover it. Had to get towed to the next exit - I was late for work and dropped it at a garage - $89 tow - $120 diagnostic fee - $90 part - all of which I could have done myself if I was upstate and not in the city. I couldn't exactly leave the jeep in the right lane of the grand central and go get the part (which I didn't know what it was at the time).
Sucks big time.
Unread 04-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, glad you got it up and running. I've been stuck like that before too, had to pay $85 for 5 gallons of gas, and that's back when it was still about $1.10 a gallon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.