Crazy Gauge , How do I fix it ? video inside - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Crazy Gauge , How do I fix it ? video inside

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Reply
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,231
Crazy Gauge , How do I fix it ? video inside

The fuel gauge is acting up on my 89 YJ ( See Video) I assume it is a ground issue this is the only gauge that does not funtion properly .

How do I fix it ?

Where is the ground located ?



__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
90DesertTanYJ
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 750
It may be electrical or maybe your float has come loose on one side. You actually can test the sending unit but you hafta drop the tank. Get it as empty as possible, drop it and hook a DVM set to resistance up to the wire connections on level ground. slowly rotate the tank front to back and watch the DVM. If it changes back and forth and is steady you probly do have an electrical issue. Good thing is, by dropping the tank, you hafta take the ground wire and the gauge lead off so you can check those as well. The gauge pod on our early YJs is notoriously bad so start there, pop it out and check for corrosion on the copper pathway thingy that connects all the gauges. Your problem should be obvious if it it there at the gauge pod. It will be corroded or you will see a break in the pathway.

A word of caution, the PVC copper pathway thing is very brittle and easily damaged so clean it with care. Use a pencil eraser and rub gently. The gauges themselves are good ones (Stewart/Warner I think) so they rarely go bad. You can also directly wire any of your gauges directly to the dash harness. Its pretty easy. I got all fancy and bought multi pin connectors at Radio Shack so I could pull it when I needed.

Good luck!
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90DesertTanYJ View Post
It may be electrical or maybe your float has come loose on one side. You actually can test the sending unit but you hafta drop the tank. Get it as empty as possible, drop it and hook a DVM set to resistance up to the wire connections on level ground. slowly rotate the tank front to back and watch the DVM. If it changes back and forth and is steady you probly do have an electrical issue. Good thing is, by dropping the tank, you hafta take the ground wire and the gauge lead off so you can check those as well. The gauge pod on our early YJs is notoriously bad so start there, pop it out and check for corrosion on the copper pathway thingy that connects all the gauges. Your problem should be obvious if it it there at the gauge pod. It will be corroded or you will see a break in the pathway.

A word of caution, the PVC copper pathway thing is very brittle and easily damaged so clean it with care. Use a pencil eraser and rub gently. The gauges themselves are good ones (Stewart/Warner I think) so they rarely go bad. You can also directly wire any of your gauges directly to the dash harness. Its pretty easy. I got all fancy and bought multi pin connectors at Radio Shack so I could pull it when I needed.

Good luck!
Thanks, I wonder if it is the FSU, I know the PO installed a 20 Gallon tank from a 95 in the YJ. Also it only happens when it reads below 3/4 tank
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
dancytron
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: st. louis
Posts: 1,221
here's a good link on cleaning the gauge panel up and getting it to work. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...er-how-991307/
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
90DesertTanYJ
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Thanks, I wonder if it is the FSU, I know the PO installed a 20 Gallon tank from a 95 in the YJ. Also it only happens when it reads below 3/4 tank
Yeah I definitely would suspect the sending unit then. I am not sure about our Yjs but most vehicles have a reservoir where the sending unit lives to prevent fluctuations, maybe it is missing. Depending on if the PO actually got the 20 gal sending unit and how abused the tank was before it was mounted, i.e. rolled around into unnatural positions and banged up. Still look first at the gauge pod, then the next step is dropping the tank. Run it down to empty and see whats up.

Good luck and keep us posted
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,231
This morning I had the engine off and the key in the run position the gauge was jumping so I think maybe its the gauge connection I'll have to pull it this weekend


Sent from AutoGuide.com App
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,231
Just a small update I have not pulled the gauges yet, However I did notice since I installed my TJ Flares yesterday my Gauge has stopped working.

Is there a Ground for the FSU ? If so Where is it located ?
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 14,582
I can't see your jeep info on the cell app. Is you jeep a 2.5 tbi or the 4.2?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by que89yj
i can't see your jeep info on the cell app. Is you jeep a 2.5 tbi or the 4.2?
The YJ is a 4.2l my info pulls up my XJ so that would be of no help to you
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,231
So I cleaned the copper on the plug and on the gauges all of the gauges work better now but the fuel gauge is inoperable. When you turn the if ignition on you can see it jump. But it still reads Empty.

So where does the Fuel sending unit ground to on the YJ ?
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 14,582
It is reading empty? That is unusual. It indicates a bad guage or a short to ground. Disconnect the plug to the sending unit and see if the guage goes to full.. If it does then you have a sending unit issue. Post back.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
It is reading empty? That is unusual. It indicates a bad guage or a short to ground. Disconnect the plug to the sending unit and see if the guage goes to full.. If it does then you have a sending unit issue. Post back.
Yep reads empty , it worked before installed the TJ flares which strikes me odd
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 14,582
Do you have a meter? The guage is pretty easy to diagnose with a meter.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 8,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
Do you have a meter? The guage is pretty easy to diagnose with a meter.
Yes I do where exactly do I put the probes to test
__________________
'89 YJ The Smurf Build Thread
'99 XJ Black Betty Build Thread
Tom95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 14,582
On the guage itself the first thing you need to test is the 12 volts on the guage. There are 2 nuts holding it in place. measure the 12 volts ignition feed on it. If you see the voltage there then turn the key off and disconnect the battery. Unplug the cluster. On the plug for the sending unit in the tank there is 2 wires; a tan wire the same color as Pin 4 on the cluster connector and black yellow. On the vehicle harness side of the connector: Put your meter to resistance and read the resistance from the black yellow to ground. It should read a short. Measure the resistance of the tan wire it should read open.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.