Crash Course In Brain Surgery Replacing Capacitors On ECU - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Crash Course In Brain Surgery Replacing Capacitors On ECU

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-10-2010, 08:48 AM   #91
chucknutt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Another satisfied customer. I was experiencing all the same issue's and like an idiot i started replacing everything i could. Even a new PCM(which didn't solve the problem kinda funny). Did this little swap of the capcitors on my old PCM and it worked. About an hour of time and $5.00. Thanks for the write up.

Unread 02-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #92
Lumpymayo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknutt View Post
Another satisfied customer. I was experiencing all the same issue's and like an idiot i started replacing everything i could. Even a new PCM(which didn't solve the problem kinda funny). Did this little swap of the capcitors on my old PCM and it worked. About an hour of time and $5.00. Thanks for the write up.
Sounds like the new PCM is defective, I'm hoping you got your money back.
Lumpymayo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #93
Hillbillydeluxe
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just did this on my mothers 95 YJ which was having issues w/ no check engine light at start up and long cranks with no start. Worked great thanks so much for taking the time to post this.

Hillbillydeluxe
Hillbillydeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #94
stone57

This works

I can't thank you enough for posting this.I just repaired my ecm yesterday and it works great.You are a very smart man!!
stone57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2010, 01:25 PM   #95
helogunner
1995 YJ Wrangler 

could this be the reason I have had a problem? vehicle ran fine a month ago. cold winter, have not started it in this amount of time. turn key, see cel, cel goes out after a second, hear click up front, no fuel to the rail. replaced relay, replaced pump/sender unit, fuel filter. still nothing. clicked ignition on 3 times, codes were disconnect battery, a/c fault, and that was it. i shot starting fluid in the intake and got fire so it is a fuel prob. any ideas if this will work?
helogunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #96
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by helogunner View Post
could this be the reason I have had a problem? vehicle ran fine a month ago. cold winter, have not started it in this amount of time. turn key, see cel, cel goes out after a second, hear click up front, no fuel to the rail. replaced relay, replaced pump/sender unit, fuel filter. still nothing. clicked ignition on 3 times, codes were disconnect battery, a/c fault, and that was it. i shot starting fluid in the intake and got fire so it is a fuel prob. any ideas if this will work?
i doubt it. if it fired with the starter fluid then you've got spark which means the computer is most likely working. disco the fuel line at the fuel filter (pump side of the filter, not engine side) and then run it into a cup/can/container. have someone turn the key to run, wait a second for the pump to prime, and then to start to get the engine turning. you should get fuel out the hose into your container on both key positions. the first one will shut off after a second or two (priming phase) and then continuously while trying to start. if you get one, but not the other, I suspect your ignition switch may be bad. if you get nothing, then test the pump harness for 12V power and ground to see if it's getting power. if it is, then chances are either your new pump is bad or maybe you pinched a line or something installing it.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #97
r7069c
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have just got thru replacing the caps on my ECU. 93' 4cylinder manual. I am waiting overnight for the silicon to dry. I will let you know if it works. My symptoms were no CEL,No Fuel Pump, NO spark. I had good power going to ECU. No power going to CPS.

It took me and a helper about two hours to replace the caps. I suck at soldering and have a crappy solder gun. If this works for me then anyone can do this. I promise to update tomorrow.
Unread 03-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #98
r7069c
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just put the ECU in and blew a cap. The cap that blew is marked in red. The black arrows show the way the stripe was facing. I didn't notice how the old ones came out. I guess I'm going to try and replace the cap that blew. If anyone can tell me if my caps are not pointed correctly I would appreciate it.
Unread 03-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #99
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r7069c View Post
Just put the ECU in and blew a cap. The cap that blew is marked in red. The black arrows show the way the stripe was facing. I didn't notice how the old ones came out. I guess I'm going to try and replace the cap that blew. If anyone can tell me if my caps are not pointed correctly I would appreciate it.
looks like you put that one in backwards according to this>
Quote:
Well electrolytic caps have a gel in them that dries out over time and it can leak out. It is probably corrosive too. Like the original post mentioned, you have to install an electrolytic cap one way. If the cap has a long line on one side like the one in the pic then that is the negative side. Sometimes they will have a + on them. The +, of course denotes the positive side. So just look at which way the cap is installed that you take out. Electrolytics will also have a max voltage stamped on them like 25V or 16V. Make sure you buy caps that have a max voltage at least as high as the ones you are pulling out. If you take out one that says 25V then you can put one back in that says 25V or higher. Just as an FYI, if you install and electrolytic backwards the metal cap on the top of it will blow off like a little light weight bullet when it is energized. Just a little fun with electronics 101.
Unread 03-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #100
r7069c
1993 YJ Wrangler 

From that quote I still cant tell which way the stripe is supposed to go other than the fact that the cap blew. I am about to replace it as soon as radio shack opens. I'm going to put it the opposite way and hopefully no more blown caps and engine starts.
Unread 03-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #101
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The pic on the first page of this thread has the black strips pointed downward the way your pic oriented. Go to page 1.
Unread 03-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #102
r7069c
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just replaced the blown cap. Hooked up the ECU and still no start.
Unread 03-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #103
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by r7069c View Post
Just replaced the blown cap. Hooked up the ECU and still no start.
is it still exhibiting the same symptoms or did they change? did you follow this thread to isolate the computer as the problem?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...lained-490788/

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #104
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The electrolytic caps do not like reverse voltage. The will blow almost immeadiately. The caps protect the rest of the module from reverse battery feed if you hook up the jumper cables backwards. They also surpress voltage spikes that come in on the battery and ignition feeds. Unfortunately they wear over time when exposed to extreme voltage changes in the vehicle. The diodes in the alternator surpress some of it but not all. That is why it is so important to becareful with connecting and disconnecting the battery leads with the jeeps electrical loads on and making sure the battery cables are securely connected.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #105
loonytoon
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ECU Fix

Tried this fix. Worked perfectly. Thank You jeep forum and Posters !
loonytoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.