Crash Course In Brain Surgery Replacing Capacitors On ECU - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Crash Course In Brain Surgery Replacing Capacitors On ECU

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 12-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #76
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

willy, did it help out? Funny, ive seen at least 10 threads onthis and each time i reference my thread lol...

but i havent the slightest clue if my thread helped at all.

crzylgzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #77
MountainGold
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Excellent thread. My 95 Wrangler was experiencing this problem.
Local mechanic said Chrysler PCM's have cold weather issues....but offered no fix
other than replace PCU.
Junkyard PCU ( untested ) $200 . Remanufactured unit (not in stock ) $ 360 . Jeep
dealer $$ don't ask !!
Took the PCM to local electronics repair store....$57 later...all fixed. Started right
up at 18 F this morning !!

Way to go Jeep Forum !
MountainGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #78
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGold View Post
Excellent thread. My 95 Wrangler was experiencing this problem.
Local mechanic said Chrysler PCM's have cold weather issues....but offered no fix
other than replace PCU.
Junkyard PCU ( untested ) $200 . Remanufactured unit (not in stock ) $ 360 . Jeep
dealer $$ don't ask !!
Took the PCM to local electronics repair store....$57 later...all fixed. Started right
up at 18 F this morning !!

Way to go Jeep Forum !
18* ouch...

57 bucks is steep though, I followed the thread and did mine for 8 dollars. (radio shack)

Hardest part wand removing the RTV from the board.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #79
MountainGold
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, do it your self would be cheaper...parts cost was $ 7.20 for 3 caps . My caps had lost their
plastic shields so I did not feel comfortable pointing the "stripe" towards the heat sink tower to
line up the polarity correctly.
Unread 12-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #80
willyb8
1991 YJ Wrangler 

what kind of silicone did you use to cover them up after?
35" Maxxis Bighorn
Smittybilt XRC8 Winch,
8.8 W/Elocker, D30 W/Aussie
Genright tube fenders
willyb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #81
MountainGold
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just normal clear GE Silicone II.

Temp was 13 F this morning...and wow, instant ON with the PCM . And engine seems to run smoother
now that the "engine brain" is working better.
Unread 12-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #82
Adrenaline850

My 94 with the 2.5 was geting harder and harder to get going as the cold temps settled in. I use this jeep exclusively to plow my/neighbors driveway other than that it sits all year. At first I thought it might be the fuel pump. But then not really as it worked well while cranking and once started. The problem I thought was that the prime cycle was too short at about 1, maybe 2 seconds. Then I stumbled acorss this thread. The giveaway was the lack of check engine light. Then after a few minutes it would flicker. This frigid morning, it would not start at all, even with CEL light coming on...I suspect the ignition coils were not powering up w/enough voltage from the pcm. I say that because last night in my heated garage, after installing an un-necessary new fuel pump..........(pain in the butt by the way with full tank and no way to get fuel out, then dropped the tank and snapped off the nipples forcing me to buy a whole new drop in sending/pick-up/pump
unit($160)), i then started fine. I then grabbed this printed out thread and headed out to radio shack and spent about $5 on 3 capacitors. It took me about 1.5 hours exactly as directed and pretty easy. My "old-faithfull" Jeep runs awesome, once again. I'd like to thank that sasquatch guy and whoever else (if I missed your handle) that posted this top notch tech info about this problem. Folk like you are a godsend. Your generous and willing insight saves us "fix-it yourself" guys like me and like many on here, the ability to get it done. I owe you a beer sir. Thanks again, very very much. FYI, my pcm was original 94 oem with 100k on the clock. merry christmas.
Adrenaline850 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2009, 03:53 PM   #83
Adrenaline850

My last response disappeared? I just wanted tho say thank you very very much to whomever put this information on this site for me to find. this fix worked perfect.
Adrenaline850 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #84
willyb8
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ok i did it today, first i tried to start the heep. 28 deg. crank,crank, no start or cel. put blow dryer on ecu for 10min. turned key cel came on and it started. so i figured it was this ecu problem. went to radio shack spent 4.50 and dug in. first off i have the 4.0L and the caps are in different spots than the other pics but they are the only 3 big ones on board. truthfully the hardest part was removing the old silicone. couldn't figure out the polarity by looking at teh caps so i went with the putting stripes the way they were on old ones and that seemed to work. took about 45min from removal to final silicone. tested it before i put final silicone on and it stared right up. then i realized it was warmed up from doing it in the house so the real test will be tonite or tomm morn.

35" Maxxis Bighorn
Smittybilt XRC8 Winch,
Genright tube fenders
Unread 12-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #85
willyb8
1991 YJ Wrangler 

left ECu in garage to get nice and cold overnight, put it back in and fired up first time. SWEET!!!

thanks sasquatch
35" Maxxis Bighorn
Smittybilt XRC8 Winch,
Genright tube fenders
Unread 12-17-2009, 01:27 PM   #86
MADMAX810
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I used hot glue to seal the new capacitors in the case.

Last edited by MADMAX810; 12-17-2009 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: clarification
MADMAX810 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #87
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

What an easy money saving job...after reading the original thread, It too me less than 20 minutes and less than $6 for the repair....

BTW mine is a 4.0 94 YJ. I had 3 220uf caps..(no 470 uf caps)

Thank god for the web!!!!
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #88
EdsJunk

does anyone have the original pictures for this thread?? I may need to do this to my jeep.. thanks alot
EdsJunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #89
yjking
1989 YJ Wrangler 

anybody have this problem with a 2.5 89 yj?
yjking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #90
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Read this thread and did it last weekend,starts everytime and runs smoother and in past few days even noticed better fuel mileage..thanks for the write up!..THIS is exactly why i love this forum

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.