Crash Course In Brain Surgery Replacing Capacitors On ECU - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Crash Course In Brain Surgery Replacing Capacitors On ECU

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #211
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The o2 gets asd relay power for the heaters in the sensor so it gets up to temp as quick as possible.

Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #212
technologyteach
1957 CJ5 

Thanks for the post, It worked on my 95 2.5 5 speed. Saved me a TON
technologyteach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 02:59 PM   #213
johnwiththree

Starts but new issues

Today I followed the instructions to replace the capacitors and my jeep starts immediately every time. It was easy and I thank you for the savings of hundred of dollars. I do have a new issue which came with this fix. Now the check engine light comes on when I turn the key, the fuel pump kicks on and the engine starts right up. However the check engine light does not turn off. The fuel pump does not stay on if I turn he key but don't start the engine. Also now I don't have high beams. When I turn them on the dash indicator shows high beam but the lights kick out?

Has anyone had issues like this?
johnwiththree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #214
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The girl pump is operating normal. The light is on because you have another fault:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/
Unread 01-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #215
johnwiththree

I noticed that the volt meter on the dash which normally reads 12-14 is at 16? any idea what is causing that.
Unread 01-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #216
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That is bad news if it is right you should absolutely not start it until you have a meter. The alternator is full fielded and putting out enough voltage to cause the battery to boil and explode. This is no joke. You need to see if it is accurate by measuring the voltage at the battery with a meter. If it is correct then you need to see off the pin for the alternator control at the ecu is shorted to ground. Post back.
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #217
johnwiththree

I did start the jeep to see what kind of drop I would get with lights and blower. It ran for about 30 seconds and I then looked at the battery to make sure all the connections where tight. I could hear the battery starting to boil. Can you help me locate the pin at the ECU and what to look for. Something definitely unsafe here.

thanks
Unread 01-12-2014, 04:00 AM   #218
Rnagade1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I want to add my thanks to the countless others who have done the capacitor change on the ECM. This was an amazing fix and so simple it was scary. I kept second guessing myself because nothing ever goes that smooth when working on a jeep! Lol. Thank you for saving me hundreds of dollars!
Rnagade1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 08:41 PM   #219
snowgoer540

Capacitors

Excellent write up. Had to do this to my jeep recently, and I found it really helpful.

I just wanted to drop in my $0.02 about the capacitors. From what I read on the internet the brand that Radio Shack sells isn't really known for producing capacitors with quality electrolyte. The brand sold by Radio Shack is Lelon. The other problem with the caps sold there is that they are rated at 85 degrees C., whereas the ones that were installed from the factory are 105 degree C caps.

So I went a little further, and researched good brands of capacitors. What I came up with is a brand called Rubycon, and you can regularly find them on Ebay (from American Sellers) by searching Rubycon 25V 220uf High Temp Capacitor.

Just wanted to chime in here, of course I am sure the ones from Radio Shack work, but if the goal is to not have to replace them again at some point, it might pay to have this info regarding replacement options.
snowgoer540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #220
joesseabee
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I thank the author for the great fix. I just ran this process on my son's 94 yj manual 4.0, starting is nearly instant now, smoother running and the extreme tach flutter is gone. 3 220uf caps removed and replaced. fyi, my local radio shacks didn't have enough, but there was a bag o' 20 caps for about 5 bucks that had 4 of them

Stop and smell the Mud.
2003 RHD 4.0 TJ postal / 1997 4.0 YJ (son's)
joesseabee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 03:00 AM   #221
peejjosh

1994 YJ Wrangler 

So, just did this. Bolted it in just for a test fire and boom, fired like a champ! Tomorrow it goes back together for real
peejjosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #222
kingjames2306
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My jeep starts fine, the CEL comes on and turns off, no codes are being thrown, I haven't listened for the fuel pump. Ran fine when I bought it last summer and now with this extremely cold weather we've been having in upstate NY it's having problems. When it starts and I let it warm up on cold mornings, the idle gets so low and choked out that it seems like its about to stall then vroom, kicks back up to normal, then happens again, etc etc. When I start driving it'll choke out and then vroom gets going again (i've noticed it's usually in low RPMS) or I clutch it and it stops. This happens for about the first 5 minutes of driving then it goes away. Am I catching this capacitor problem before it really becomes worse and won't start or is it something totally different?
kingjames2306 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 12:18 AM   #223
joesseabee
2003 TJ Wrangler 

that sounds more like an Idle Air Control valve sticking. 10-20 minute replacement, inexpensive part.

Stop and smell the Mud.
2003 RHD 4.0 TJ postal / 1997 4.0 YJ (son's)
joesseabee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:03 AM   #224
kingjames2306
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesseabee View Post
that sounds more like an Idle Air Control valve sticking. 10-20 minute replacement, inexpensive part.
i took it out and cleaned it a few weeks ago, think I should just try replacing it?
kingjames2306 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 07:13 AM   #225
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

POst up to a new thread with your problem and we can try and help you through it. This thread is for the ecu issue and we should try and keep post related to the ecu. PM me when you start a new thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.