Crankshaft Sensor Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Crankshaft Sensor Help

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 01-20-2014, 06:12 AM   #1
Callan74
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Crankshaft Sensor Help

OK..long story short. Replaced the clutch on my 1989 2.5L YJ, every parts store I called said that the 1989 4 banger flywheel was not available, so I progressively moved up in years until I found a 1991 flywheel. Everything on the two flywheels matched perfect..except the outer flywheel notches. I assumed the outer notches were for balancing and weight (not even thinking about crankshaft sensor). I finally finished the new clutch install and had everything put back together. I tried to start the jeep and it will turn over but no spark. After troubleshooting a few things including the crankshaft sensor (ohms) still nothing, so I am assuming the 1991 flywheel will not work with the 1989 electronic setup.

So the dilemma and question. Does anyone know if a 1991 crankshaft sensor will work on an 1989? The plugs are different and not sure the mode of operation is even the same. Is coil/ignition module and computer even compatible? These are just desperation questions...I really do not want to tear apart the jeep to switch out the flywheel (if I can even find one). Does anyone have other ideas?

C

Callan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you have 2 different animals.. TBI and MPFI. The cps is not the answer..the flywheel needs to be correct.. or change to a MPFI setup and it should start but that involves a new ECM as well

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
Peety
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark05059 View Post
you have 2 different animals.. Tbi and mpfi. The cps is not the answer..the flywheel needs to be correct.. Or change to a mpfi setup and it should start but that involves a new ecm as well
x2
Peety is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

X3 if you need a source for a good used one try cfoffroad.com
Chris will probably have one
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Callan74
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, thats what I figured...I found a local machine shop to turn the old flywheel. Strange that I cannot find a new one at the local parts stores..I tried 3 different ones.
Callan74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.