Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Crankshaft Position Sensor wires

29K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  Mark05059 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am swapping a Wrangler 4.0L into a wrangler 2.5L.

I now need to install the crankshaft position sensor but don't know what wires have to be connected...

I have this connector at the CPS:

and this at the wiring harness:

I would like to use the last connector and change it on the CPS. I do have a male connector of the last connector, but i don't know how to install it (which wire has to be connected with which wire)..

Could someone help me please?
It's an 93 Wrangler YJ and the engine of an 93 Cherokee XJ

I'm sorry if this is bad English, but i'm Dutch :rolleyes:
Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
They should cross over like you are trying to plug the 2 sides together. Left to left middle to middle and right to right.

#3 ·
Thank you, the only problem is that all 3 wires from CPS are black... I don't know which wire is left and which wire is right?

I only have a good connected complete wiring harness connector (last picture in first post)

And a male connector with 10 inch wiring without CPS... I will connect this to the CPS (cut wire in first picture and braze them together)

I'm sorry, i can't explain it better (trying real hard :confused:)

#7 ·
Looking at your connector the way it is in the bottom photo: A goes to the left. B to the middle. C to the right

#9 ·
I measured the output on the flat connector (like the picture above) and got those values:

A: 5volts
B: Ground
C: 8,8volts

Is this the same at the round connector? (A = 5v, B = ground etc???)

I would like to know it for sure so i don't mess it up (the CPS)

Thanks again!

#12 ·
Where did you find a YJ in the Netherlands? and your dad has a CJ, thats awesome! I hope you got the flywheel with the 4.0L. The 4.0L has a different pattern on the flywheel for the crank sensor. Also the ECU is different as well.

#13 ·
I bought a complete Cherokee XJ so i'm using the engine, and AX-15 manual gearbox (including the NP-231 Transfer case).

I used my 2.5L wiring harness and inserted 2 injectors (and made some wiring longer)...
And i bought a PCM from a 91' 4.0L Wrangler so this will fit!

I installed everything except the crankshaft position sensor kable... This is right now my only problem (the connector on the XJ is round and on my harness it's flat)... And i don't dare to install it without asking / do some research...

Is it safe to install it like you said?
In holland we have a forum like this and they told me it was different so i don't know what to do right now :confused:

By the way, thanks for all the help!

#14 ·
Kenzo, you can try this if it makes you more comfortable. Take the old sensor from the 2.5L and measure the resistance pin to pin. Do the same with the new sensor. If they read the same then you can feel comfortable hooking up the new sensor the same way the old one was hooked up.

#15 ·
There is one problem

I can't measure the resistance from the old CPS because i only have the flat connector (connector from CPS on the transmission)

Could you measure these resitance pin to pin? (than i can measure it from the round connector and know what wire is to what pin on the flat connector?)

#16 ·
Thank for all the help!!!

I just installed the connector and when trying to start it has a spark...

I installed the fuel pump and when i try to start i can hear the fuel pump.

This is all correct i think.

There is only one problem.... It doesn't start yet
If i switch the key to position:On, I see the Check engine lamp for about 3 seconds...(think this is good)...

Anybody know why it won't start?

Thanks again!
Kenzo

#19 ·
Those codes are normal codes that are there until 50 starts, so you are good.

#20 ·
Did you check spark at the spark plugs? If yes then you need to check your fuel. I know you said you hear the the fuel pump but that doesnt mean you have fuel at the fuel rail and coming out of the injectors. Spray some starting either into the throttle body and see if it starts and dies. If it does then you have a fuel problem and we can go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.