Crankshaft Position Sensor, Which One? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Crankshaft Position Sensor, Which One?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 03-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Crankshaft Position Sensor, Which One?

I'm getting a code 11 and it could be my CPS. My questions is which one should I get? My yj is a 91. Everything is 91 except for a new engine which is a 94 with a 94 distributor and coil (if that matters). So when I look it up the part numbers they are broken down with a 91 and 82 has one and the 93 thru 95 has a different one.

Any idea?

Craig

az_zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just checked the sensor and it is at 69 ohms. So pretty sure it's bad. Need to figure out which one to get.

cb
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_zoner View Post
Just checked the sensor and it is at 69 ohms. So pretty sure it's bad. Need to figure out which one to get.

cb
Which year ECM controls the emissions system on your Jeep? '91? Then that year sensor would be the logical choice.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Which year ECM controls the emissions system on your Jeep? '91? Then that year sensor would be the logical choice.
Thanks, It is a 91. I was leaning that way. I checked and the distributor sensor is the same for those years.

And I just got a good look at both and it is the mounting strap that is difference between the two.

cb
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

91 and 94 use the same crank sensor.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_zoner View Post
Thanks, It is a 91. I was leaning that way. I checked and the distributor sensor is the same for those years.

And I just got a good look at both and it is the mounting strap that is difference between the two.

cb
Here is the one I think you need.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...349&cc=1185005

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
ghetdjc320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

94 PCMs are a little different IIRC. I believe the 94 dizzy will have a different Camshaft sensor signal.
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Between 91-94 several different crank sensor part number show up.

Unread 03-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up a sensor at NAPA for a 91 YJ and it runs great again. I think it was going down hill for a while because it actually feels a little smoother.

thanks for all the input!!

Craig
483324-1-.jpg  
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The PCM and the signal is the same. The sensor connector changed. You can cross over the 2 with no difference in the way it will operate. The older one is round while the newer one is flat.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.