cranks n cranks but will not start??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > cranks n cranks but will not start???

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 01-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
xpoetax

cranks n cranks but will not start???

so my '92 yj will not start when its cold out. When its above 40 degrees it cranks for about 10 seconds before it starts and it has to be full throttle. When temperature drops it cranks and sort of "catching" but the battery will die before it starts.
I got sprark, got fuel - i can hear the fuel pump n after cranking it so long i can smell it. I also have see the CEL light up.
If i jump it and crank it for a while it will start and once it warms up it starts everytime but still needs like 5-10 seconds of cranking.'

ANY IDEAS?? Please help

xpoetax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Try a new battery.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
dmblair
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey man, take a read through this thread (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...).....it's one I started a year ago. My issue is still here somewhat but it's better. A lot of guys who know a crapload have commented and put many helpful suggestions throughout this thread. Good luck!! Keep us posted
dmblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
xpoetax

Read the entire discussion mentioned above and I am still clueless! I got fuel I got spark n I have to jump it n crank it for honestly 5min before it starts. And it has to be WOT!
Unread 01-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
youngjeepr
1988 YJ Wrangler 

try spraying starter fluid in the throttle body see if that makes it start if it does then its a fuel problem

Utah Jeep Crew

Build Thread
youngjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
dmblair
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked your fuel pressure? I'm curious to see what that is?!!?
dmblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
xpoetax

I did the ecu capacitor replacement. Cap rotor wires. N still need to start it wot. No codes in the ecu. Once it starts n warms up it bogs down between 1500-2000 in 1st gear.....
Unread 01-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
xpoetax

Starting fluid doesnt help!!!
Unread 01-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you are having a sart issue then it limits it to a few sensors. Clean the throttle body and the IAC. It sounds like a bad IAC. TPS is possible and can be easily checked with a meter and the Temp and MAT. Since you are going WOT to start I am betting your issue is the IAC though. There is a good writeup on cleaning it. Do the search. The IAC seems to be a huge problem with the years on the Jeeps now.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cel , cold , computer , crank , start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.