Cranks and Cranks, cranks some more and she wont start. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cranks and Cranks, cranks some more and she wont start.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

Cranks and Cranks, cranks some more and she wont start.

Greetings, Noob to the forum.....

before i begin allow me to introduce my Puppy.

i have a 95 YJ, 2.5l 4cyl.

everything is stock, except for my tires and suspension.

21/2 in lift with a set of 31" MT baja's. Ill post pics when i get home, right now im on my BB posting this so i'm limited.

In any case, over the last several weeks, My baby started acting a bit odd.

1. when key is inserted in the ignition and cranked, thats all she does, is crank, cranks some more and wont start... after about a few minutes I hear a clicking noise coming from my relay box, dashboard lights up and vroom she starts right up as if nothing was wrong..

....What have i done???? well besides reading practically every forum, every car parts auto advice forum, I reasoned it to be an electrical issue.

I changed the CPS.. simple enuff.

removed, and cleaned grounding contacts both engine, and electrical the like,

checked and cleaned starter...contacts and all.

replaced fuel filter,

listened to fuel pump....she humms with out a problem and seems to be getting primed with out a problem.

replaced starter relay, as well as fuel pump relay just to be on the safe side.

opened up relay box and cleeaned contacts of the relay slots.

did a diagnosis of my ECM, and i got an A/C code, and code 55 thats it. I dont have A/C so thats a non issue. and well we all know what 55 is.

So all these replacements and my Puppy still cranks and cranks. but doesnt start.

so what do i do....I insert key into ignition, turn her over to the start position, leave it there. after several minutes i hear the clicking noise, she lights up, and vroom, thats how ive been getting around..

so i have 2 questions...

1. What is the relay amperage for the ASD relay, im looking it up cant seem to find it...I wanna replace her

2. and Whats wwrong with my baby...... im at a loss.

Im car friendly, know my way around pretty good. so if anyone has had this problem and fixed it, please give me a heads up.

crzylgzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
mrcleanstj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow dude i'am at a loss on this one! Can't wait to see what is suggested. One question can you tell which relay is clicking? Maybe swap it out? Ign switch??

This space saved for info:
mrcleanstj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

I went ahead and swapped the starter relay, as well as the fuel pump relay. I cant submit photos, but in my relay box ...

I ave 4 larger black relays and an array of multicolored fuses, which by the way are all functioning and not blown....

all thats left now is the ASD which the amperage i cant figure out, the relay has no writing on it, I guess age has marred the writing on it.
Unread 12-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
bh1075

mines the same
been doing it more since its cold as hell

any fault codes coming up???
my throtle postion sensor is bad and that can cause it to not start correctly.
other then that i can come up with whats causing it
im gonna change the sensor next week and see what happens
i'll keep ya updated on it
NIGHT CREW #023
bh1075 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

Phewww. Ive read the problem alot...it seems to be constantly happening, but to date..I havent read on a fix or any direction on what to do.

My next project will be to replace the ASD relay as soon as i find the amperage rating, then look into the fuel pump. but i honestly dontthink thats the problem.

No ECM codes to mention, she is reading a faulty A/C relay, but again, I dont have one. A/C that is.
Unread 12-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Read the FAQ.

Diagnosis and explanation of the problem.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/91-hard-no-start-long-cranks-cold-explained-490788/

Repair.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/crash-course-brain-surgery-replacing-capacitors-ecu-492597/
the_mork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

wow, ok, my apologies for not reading the Faq's but in my defense i used the search feature. but maybe i used the wrong terms. Im gonna go for it and try to solder fix my ECU.. Mork, you da man... thanxs. Guys stay tuned in a week or so, im gonna go for it and keep you advised.
Unread 12-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
greenerob
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh1075 View Post
mines the same
been doing it more since its cold as hell

any fault codes coming up???
my throtle postion sensor is bad and that can cause it to not start correctly.
other then that i can come up with whats causing it
im gonna change the sensor next week and see what happens
i'll keep ya updated on it

I have the same problem. How do you test or know if your TPS is bad?

Rob

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande 4in RC Lift 33" Tires with 73,000 miles. Auto Trans
greenerob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

I dont think ya can. Its a sensor. Im no electrical guy thats fer sure, but Autozone has TPS's, under 40 bucks

http://www.throttlepositionsensors.c...ible_with_jeep

http://www.autozone.com/Ntt,throttle...E2CECD7A0C5375
Unread 12-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
greenerob
2014 JK Wrangler 

So how would that dude know has was bad?

Is it an easy job?

Rob

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande 4in RC Lift 33" Tires with 73,000 miles. Auto Trans
greenerob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

IF the check engine light didn't come on while cranking.
Unread 12-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenerob View Post
I have the same problem. How do you test or know if your TPS is bad?
Usually it throws a trouble code...
Unread 12-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
bh1075

Yeah my light is on and that the code that comes up,
dont remember waht the number for it is
NIGHT CREW #023
bh1075 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2008, 10:09 PM   #14
crzylgzz
2011 JK Wrangler 

ok..... Update on my Puppy's crank, but no start crisis........wish i could post photos . I find they're easier. I think im gonna post to my photobucket and then submit a link to that folder for viewing purposes. stayed tuned for that.

Ok using astandard meter i checked for power in all my fuses, under the dash as well asthe power box within the engine compartment. All the fuses are so far so good. The only Fuse/Relay that causes concern is the ASD relay which does all the clicking..

Mork, your posting highlighted the very same issue, and again i thank you....So as it stands i have one more place to check and thats the ECM harness. That 60 plus pin connector which puts it all together. Im gonna check for power and maybe just maybe I find a fault or a break in those wires which kills the power to my ECM. causing the irregular starts.

Stay tuned.....

PS> Has anyone found the Amperage rating for the ASD relay. Im having a hardtime finding it, and im thinking a replacement wouldnt hurt.

P.S.S..... If the computer is in fact faulty and/or bad, how is that she eventually starts.

Is it the cold thats causing the intermitant starts, and the fact that power is energizing the ECM its causing it to " for lack of a better term thaw out the system allowing it to start. components.

Its so confusing how one second she doesnt work, then all of a sudden click click click she works just fine, yet all the wires are clean and connected, I have power.

I dont know i guess im stubborn or narrow in my thinking, if it dont work, then dont work, this back and forth stuff with the ECM Not working, then working is driving me batty..
Unread 12-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #15
the_mork
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_mork View Post
Did you look at the second link? Usually it is a capacitor problem which is exacerbated by the cold.

If you aren't good with electronics you can usually find an electronics repair shop that would do this sort of work for a relatively small fee.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.