Crank Position Sensor 89/95 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Crank Position Sensor 89/95

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
vintageagain68
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Crank Position Sensor 89/95

So i'm in the middle of putting a 89 2.5 (w/MPI swap) in my 95 yj. The motor is shot so i bought another jeep with a poor body and am swaping the drive train. Through my research i have found the crank position sensor for the 1989 is different from the 1995. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Can i just cut the connector and replace with the 89 connector? Can i just swap out the sensor and not worry about the flywheel?

for simplicity i'm trying to swap the n231 ax5 and 2.5 as an entire unit from one vehicle to the other.

thanks for the help

vintageagain68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The same year flywheel needs to be used with whatever year computer you are using. If you are keeping the 89 computer I think you need to put the 89 flywheel on the new motor.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Will your 95 cps fit the 89 engine? I would think that way.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #4
DriveTooMuch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageagain68 View Post
So i'm in the middle of putting a 89 2.5 (w/MPI swap) in my 95 yj. The motor is shot so i bought another jeep with a poor body and am swaping the drive train. Through my research i have found the crank position sensor for the 1989 is different from the 1995. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Can i just cut the connector and replace with the 89 connector? Can i just swap out the sensor and not worry about the flywheel?

for simplicity i'm trying to swap the n231 ax5 and 2.5 as an entire unit from one vehicle to the other.

thanks for the help
The engine blocks are basically the same. I would switch over the entire fuel injection system from the 95, the whole intake throttle body, etc. the distrubutor, basically all the externals of the 95. The computer is not going to know the difference between the 2 blocks, they have not changed, it is the same displacement.. the block. So your computer will think it is the same engine. That is what I would do. The part number is probably different for the sensor, it is a different computer, ecu, etc. but the notches on the flywheel should be the same. Are you saying that then that the sensor is different because the notches on the flywheel is in a different location, or the mounting on the bell housing is in a different location? Retain your computer, and cps and switch over all the "externals on the shot engine. Thats what I think I would do from what you are saying.
DriveTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
vintageagain68
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i'm not sure, i read on this post:

about a the different cps and flywheel. i then went to an autoparts website and saw the sensor and flywheel are different.

so i don't know about the compatibility of the sensor data and flywheel

i plan to port everything from the 95 over to the 89 but was hoping not to break apart the engine/tranny/tc
Unread 07-25-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
DriveTooMuch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

just change everything over from the 95. The engine block is the same.
DriveTooMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
vintageagain68
1995 YJ Wrangler 

swapped everything over and no issues, thanks!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.