Crank but no start troubleshooting help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Crank but no start troubleshooting help

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 08-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Crank but no start troubleshooting help

Hi Guys,

I need some help troubleshooting here. I have an 89 2.5 yj that cranks, but doesn't start. When i turn the key, the fuel pump kicks on and is sending fuel to the rail and cranks, but doesn't actually start. It'll crank all day if i let it.

This tells me its not a fuel problem because i have fuel. Not an ecm problem because the fuel pump kicks on. Is this correct?

I have brand new spark plugs. I can spray starting fluid in the air box and it sounds like its going to start for 1/2 second, but then goes back to just cranking.

Any thoughts on what might be going on or what to check next?

**EDIT**
I've also checked fuses under the dash-- they all look good.

Thanks,
Jeremy

jjs89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you may not have enough fuel pressure even though the fuel pump is pumping. Go to autozone and borrow the fuel pressure gauge, its free but you have to leave a deposit. Plug it into the shrader valve and report back here with the pressure.
mike134 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks- i just picked up the pressure gauge, but cannot for the life of me find the valve or a picture of the valve in a 2.5. Where's it at?
Unread 08-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It should be on the throttle body on your 89 2.5L. I think you should have 15 psi with the pump running. Your TBI should have a pressure adjustment screw on the pressure regulator which you screw inward to increase pressure and outward to decrease pressure.
25l-tbi.jpg

Unread 08-29-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

thanks mike, that picture really helps. I threw the pressure gauge on it and it holds right at 15 psi. Does this indicate that its not a fuel issue?
Unread 08-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yeah, its very likely that the fuel system is working well.

Whats the history of the vehicle? Did you just get it, or have you had it for a while? Was it running before you replaced the spark plugs?

I would definitely take a plug back out and check the gap. Are they copper core or platinum? If the new ones are platinum then put the old ones back in and see if it starts up again.
Unread 08-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The engine has maybe 3000 miles on it, but its been parked for two years because i took the body off to take care of some frame stuff. Didn't touch the engine though during that time. Right before it was parked, I drained fluids. Before i tried starting it, i put brand new fluids in it and new copper plugs. I haven't replaced wires though. Should i throw the old plugs back in it to see if it'll fire?
Unread 08-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #8
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The new plugs should be ok, but you should still check to see if the gap is the same as the old ones. I have gotten the wrong plug gap from the parts store before.

You should check for power to the spark plugs:
Unplug the ignition coil wire from the distributor cap, hold it a half inch from the cylinder head and have someone crank the engine. See if a spark arcs across.
Unread 08-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #9
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Checked the gap and they're alright. There is no spark coming from the ignition cool wire. Should I replace distributor cap and wires next? Or is there something else I can check before that?
Unread 08-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if there is no spark from the ignition coil wire then replacing the cap and wires probably won't help.

Since the car was sitting, did you replace the battery? Try adding booster cables connected to another vehicle and see if it starts up. If the battery is old and not supplying enough voltage, sometimes the coil won't even fire.

Also, try leaving the key in the ON position for a few minutes, then try starting it up. This will allow the ECU capacitors to charge up if they are going bad.
Unread 08-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The battery is about two weeks old and fully charged. Would a bad capacitor in the ecm cause this issue?
Unread 08-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #12
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have the check engine light come on when you turn the key to ON? Check out the following article if it doesn't come on.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...rs-ecu-492597/
Unread 08-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do the 89 2.5s have check engine lights? I thought these didn't come along until OBD1?

Would a crankshaft position sensor cause the issues i'm having?
Unread 08-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #14
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

89's don't have many lights I'm thinking it's the CPS and possibly pinched or unplugged wiring if you pulled the body off and then put it back on If you've got fuel but not spark then I'd check the CPS for sure next.

I have a little '89 2.5 with 220,000 miles on it and it still sounds like a little sewing machine when it's running.
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2014, 09:53 PM   #15
jjs89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'll try that in the morning and check back in. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.