Cracked Header - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cracked Header

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 10-25-2001, 07:18 PM   #1
2High4U

Cracked Header

On a recent 4x4 trip I cracked the header on my 93 Wrangler. Its the I6 4.0L engine I was going over a rock and the bottom of it, scraped, it cracked in two about 3 inches after it comes off the block.

From what I have read in order to get the header off you have to pull the injectors and the fuel rail because a) the header cant be removed from below and the injectors sit above it, and b) because the two share a gasket. Is this true? A shop quoted me $250 in labor to do it. How hard of a job would it be for me to do?

Thanks

Jeff

2High4U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2001, 08:22 PM   #2
hamyscj

Jeff, do not remove the injectors or fuel rail. Both of those items come off with the intake manifold. I would try it yourself. It is a fairly easy job. Loosen the belt and slide it off of the ps pump, remove the ps pump but don't disconnect the lines, just set it aside. Disconnect the wiring from the throttle body, the injectors and the manifold and set it on the other side of the engine, out of the way. Disconnect the fuel lines (2 of them) at the front of the fuel rail. Remove all the bolts from the exhaust/intake except the studs on either end. The intake should then come off. Disconnect the header pipe from the manifold and unplug the O2 sensor and take off the nuts securing the the ends of the exhaust. I might have forgotten a thing or 2 but that is it for the most part. Are you repairing or replacing the manifold? OEM manifolds are pricy. A Borla header is the same price, maybe cheaper and it is guarenteed for life. Have fun, set aside a Sat to do it and save some bucks. Steve.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.