crack in bellhousing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > crack in bellhousing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RCV Axles at CCOR

Unread 02-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

crack in bellhousing

If I'm remembering correctly, there's 6 bolts that attach the engine to the transmissions bellhousing.
On the engine side, I got a crack around the middle bolt on the driver side. The bolt no longer threads into the engine and slides in and out (I'm pretty sure the bolt was long enough).
I was thinking I could buy a longer Grade 8 bolt and nut with washers to tighten down on the outside of the engine bolt hole? But I don't think its flat and don't want to make it worse.

Not sure what to do, does anybody have any ideas? Thanks!
Oh and this is off topic but can I just use AutoZone brand ATF in my tcase? I'm using synth 10/30 in my ax5.
Thanks for any help

cwein23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Any atf will work in the t-case.
Not sure on the real problem. Free bump.
The_Goob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not real sure I understand what it is that is cracked. Bellhousing (aluminum) or the engine block (cast iron)? I got the part about the bolt not threading in, so does that mean the ear spread open so no longer do the threads engage?

Is there any way you can submit some photos that demonstrate what it is that is damaged here?

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks goob
And sorry for the bad explanation. The engine block cracked on the location that the bolts thread into. I can post a picture when I get home, I dont know a lot of the terminology so can't explain it better or answer your questions really
Unread 02-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hopefully that helps clear up my confusing explanation.
It started as a crack and then fell off while I was wheeling.
The missing chunk is on the engine block.
Thanks, and sorry, still learning
Unread 02-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
cojab
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That one kinda sucks!
It's not uncommon for cast to break like that. Unfortunately where yours is at its not going to be easy to get to in order to build that back up with welding. It would also be difficult to drill and tap that type of repair and maintain alignment with the bell housing hole.
Your best bet might be welding a threaded stud into the block. I've seen that done before but I'm not sure how well it held up. Most of the time when welding cast your just trying to repair cracks or fill in material. Its a little more difficult to join a different part.

Either way I don't see any easy solution for you other than leaving it or a couple of redneck engineered methods (that are probably short term) and at a minimum that tranny will need to be dropped out of the way.
Hopefully someone with a better solution will chime in here soon.
cojab is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

My first thought would be to put a stud in and braze it in place, rather than welding it. Really the only options are a redneck repair or a new block so anything is worth a try.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

It's 1 bolt out of 6. I would drive on and not sweat it.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #9
Jeepsr4me

Drill the hole out. grind a flat spot on the engine block part and put a nut and bolt thru there AND a big washer..
But not really needed...
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 07:13 PM   #10
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I only just now am able to see the photo, I am firewalled at work. So long as the other bolts are intact, and especially the registering dowels, you should not have to worry with the loss of that one bolt.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2015, 10:22 PM   #11
cwein23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, well at least I won't have to worry too much.
I may do some red neck repair, if I ever get to it Ill let you guys know how it goes
Before I do that I need to replace my transmission mount and probably the nutserts for the skid plate though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.