cps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > cps

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
w212warren
1989 YJ Wrangler 

cps

where is the crank sensor on my 89 yj any onehave a pic, jeep died has new coil, icm, wires, dist, it has little spark at coil when i tested it but no spark at end of plug wires, think its the cps mabey

w212warren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The crank sensor is at the top of the bell housing in the rear of the motor.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
The crank sensor is at the top of the bell housing in the rear of the motor.
actually I don't think the 4.2L has one.

warren, check your fusible links coming off the starter relay, you may have a burnt one cutting power to the coil.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

LOL I missed that one! Nope on the 4.2L You are old school! Time to do some mods I think. Time for the nutter bypass upgrade if ignition module is bad. Do they require emission check and vehicle inspections in Winnipeg?
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
w212warren
1989 YJ Wrangler 

no emissions check in winnipeg. found the problem my distrubtor was bad. got lots of spark now it wants to fire up but now i have no fuel going to the carb. what next with this thing!!! it has a brand new fuel filter, also its a mechanical fuel pump on the engine so i dont think i can hear a pump turning on. is there a way to check the fuel pump
Unread 03-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #6
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w212warren View Post
no emissions check in winnipeg. found the problem my distrubtor was bad. got lots of spark now it wants to fire up but now i have no fuel going to the carb. what next with this thing!!! it has a brand new fuel filter, also its a mechanical fuel pump on the engine so i dont think i can hear a pump turning on. is there a way to check the fuel pump
have you checked the fuel pressure? I think those mechanical pumps like to put out like 7 lbs of pressure. The webers like 3.0 to 3.5 lbs
Holley makes a good fpr for around 30 bucks, if you get it, you'll need to pick up a gauge and fittings.
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
w212warren
1989 YJ Wrangler 

when i pulled the fuel line to the carb and turned the motor over there was little fuel coming out, i will test to see if i got power to the fuel tank then check fuel pressure. i dont think i have a fpr.
Unread 03-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
when i pulled the fuel line to the carb and turned the motor over there was little fuel coming out, i will test to see if i got power to the fuel tank then check fuel pressure. i dont think i have a fpr.
sorry, I don't know why I assumed you have a webber. Are you running the stock carter ?
Unread 03-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
w212warren
1989 YJ Wrangler 

running stock carb. i checked the two relays on passenger side fender i get power on 87 pin or 30 pin one or the other. ok this is where i get lot, i got a mechanical fuel pump on block so the wires running to my fuel tank are for my fuel gauge black wire and a beige wire, also have a orange but it is cut of the connector for some reason. so there is no power on a mechanical pump right! how do i find out if my pump is bad
Unread 03-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I believe the crankshaft position sensor is actually abbreviated CKS.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #11
w212warren
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ordered a new mechanical fuel pump so i will know tomorrow if it will run. dam jeep is a money pit pretty much everything is new, its one thing after another. i have a xj project i want to start so i want this thing to run so project 4.6l stroker can begin
Unread 03-10-2010, 06:51 PM   #12
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Am I missing something?? A mechanical fuel pump has no wires to it. You need to get a Haynes or Chilton manual. The wires going to your fuel tank are for the fuel gauge. You are using troubleshooting step for a fuel injected system but you have a carbed engine if its a 4.2L and hasn't been converted to FI. Please explain your current engine setup.
Unread 03-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #13
w212warren
1989 YJ Wrangler 

burner that is what i was say the wires must be for fuel gauge. its a carb and a mechanical fuel pump. just not getting fuel to the carb so i ordered a new pump hope thats the fix
Unread 03-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #14
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
burner that is what i was say the wires must be for fuel gauge. its a carb and a mechanical fuel pump. just not getting fuel to the carb so i ordered a new pump hope thats the fix
always a good idea, not that expensive and have a tendacy to go bad.
Unread 03-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #15
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can check the pump by disconnecting a line after the pump and holding it into a bottle while you crank. It should put out a pretty large amount of fuel.
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.