Cover for radio hole? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cover for radio hole?

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 11-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
ctclark1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Cover for radio hole?

Sorry, don't know if this really should belong in the electrical forum, but its not specifically about the electronics...

Does anyone know if there's a readily available blank plate for the radio opening in a YJ? Its a ways down the road yet but I'm thinking about it now - I want to get a center console to replace the one that doesn't exist in my jeep and was going to get one that holds a radio so the contols are closer to me (ie, not leaning over the gear stick while doing 80 on an expressway...), But I don't want a big ugly gaping hole in the dash. Or is there something "stylish" or a CB radio that will fit in that opening?

ctclark1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
roadglide
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I made a plate out of steel & put a power supply outlet & toggle switches for future accesaries in it.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Even the most basic cd players come with a remote now. Seems silly given the radio isn't 2 feet away on a car, bit it's quite useful in a jeep. I leave my remote on the center console. Before long you'll know the remote really well and won't need to look at it or the radio to change stations of volume. I think it's safer than looking down next to you to find the radio controls. Just my .02
chadroc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tuffy makes a "Stereo Dash Cutout Tray" to fill the hole after removing the stereo. Be nice to have a small cubby hole to place things, cuz the Tuffy Glove Box I installed eliminates the cubby hole over the factory glove box that's right behind the grab handle. Dunno if it is the exact size to fit your rig, check the measurements in your dash.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14127_900.htm

They also make a Cutout Cover.

Either way, shouldn't be too hard to adapt a similar idea for your needs.
Unread 11-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have something similar to what Burlbook48 posted, don't know where it came from though.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

A uniden or cobra CB will fit nicely in there with a cut out plate around them.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

The radio dash opening is a great place for 3 additional gauges. Just blank off the opening and then cut in the gauge openings there.

I put my trans temp, air pressure and air temp gauges there.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #8
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I made a switch plate/ 12v outlet out of some sheet metal, it came out really nice and looks like it was a factory option. I only have a couple of pictures of it on my computer, the one was when I put it in, and the other was once the dash was put back together, if you want a better picture of it in the dash I can get you one, just tell me, I'll have to go and take a picture though, I don't have any saved to my computer.

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I purchased a yj new back in 94 and it didn't come with a stereo. It had a velour lined plastic pocket that was in the place where the stereo goes. Probably not available from jeep any more.
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
HMFIC

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjcrawlr View Post
I purchased a yj new back in 94 and it didn't come with a stereo. It had a velour lined plastic pocket that was in the place where the stereo goes. Probably not available from jeep any more.
You could get one of those at a car audio place. Some of the double din kits used to install a single din radio in double den hole have them. Might have to buy the whole kit tho. Should'nt be more then 25-30 bucks.

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KIT6RK just use the bottom part. It usually slides out.
HMFIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #11
HMFIC

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarambo101 View Post
I made a switch plate/ 12v outlet out of some sheet metal, it came out really nice and looks like it was a factory option. I only have a couple of pictures of it on my computer, the one was when I put it in, and the other was once the dash was put back together, if you want a better picture of it in the dash I can get you one, just tell me, I'll have to go and take a picture though, I don't have any saved to my computer.

Which one is the Nos? Do you think 3 of those would fit in the factory location for fog lights and rear wiper.
HMFIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 11:15 PM   #12
ctclark1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm liking the blank face plate idea - will probably add two or three 12V outlets there, since the A/C option puts the outlet in a very inconvenient place under the steering wheel...

On an unrelated note, outta curiosity, why where some 4wd indicators in the light panel above the wheel and some in the gauge cluster to the side? (Sorry, ADD got the best of me when looking at omarambo101's pictures... Didn't think it was worth a new topic) Both mine (my 87 and my 90) have them in light panel. Is it a difference in years? or have I just managed to get two very odd jeeps? (Most pictures I see have them in the gauge cluster)
ctclark1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is what I've been working on...

Square hole is for my CB radio, and the round hole is for a 12v socket.
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #14
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarambo101 View Post

srry to hijack.. but where did u run the wires for ur stereo in that console omarambo? under the seat?
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #15
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMFIC View Post
Which one is the Nos? Do you think 3 of those would fit in the factory location for fog lights and rear wiper.
unfortunately, I don't have NOS (yet), the switches are (in order) driver heated seat, fog lights, driving lights, long range lights, passenger heated seat, and if you made you own panel you could fit three in the factor foglight/wiper location easily, you could probably fit 4 if you needed too, they would just need to be right next to each other
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.