Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Couple questions about an 8.8 swap

650 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  kirksjeep 
#1 ·
I searched the site and found most of the info that I need. However, i do have a few questions. Will the rear disk rear end work with the stock jeep brake booster? Also, how do I go about hooking up e-brake cables. Also, I am wanting to get this in the right way, but dont have a ton of cash to throw around to do so, so, if I get a rear end with a 4.10 gear, what should I do to my front D30? Will it also need to be geared to a 4.10? or is it already? Kinda new at the technical stuff. If I do have to swap the gear, whats my best most cost effective bet to do it? Thanks again guys!

#2 ·
I searched the site and found most of the info that I need. However, i do have a few questions. Will the rear disk rear end work with the stock jeep brake booster? Yes

Also, how do I go about hooking up e-brake cables. Alot of People just re-use the stock cables and fab the ends to work and you can also buy a kit from places such as M.O.R.E

Also, I am wanting to get this in the right way, but dont have a ton of cash to throw around to do so, so, if I get a rear end with a 4.10 gear, what should I do to my front D30? Will it also need to be geared to a 4.10? or is it already? Do you have a 4 banger? If ya do, then you do not need to re-gear because your Dana 30 is already 4.10's. If you have a 4.0 then yes you will need to re-gear, or the easiest option is to just swap in a front end from a 2.5 4 banger

Kinda new at the technical stuff. If I do have to swap the gear, whats my best most cost effective bet to do it? Told you above

Thanks again guys!
Good luck man!! If you need any help Im right across the river so dont hesitate to ask for help. Also clear out your Inbox, I tried sending you a PM but your box is full! :cheers2:

#3 ·
As Brad said...
Your booster is fine.
The e brakes will almost hook right up, you will need to fab a small spacer up, but other than that, no issues.
I am running the ford 4.10 gears in back with the Dana 4.11 in front. Got the 4.11 front used for cheap to keep from needing to do a gear job. For you...that depends completely upon what front gears you have.

#4 ·
cleared my inbox, also, how do I check to see what gear I have up front? Beings that Im running 35's would 4.10's be a good size to settle with? Right now, I honestly have no isues with highways, accelerating or anyhthing, but, it feels a little underpowered, and 5th is useless for me unless its lfat ground with a tailwind, or downhill lol

#7 ·
Its a lot cheaper to find a 4:10 explorer rear axle and a 2.5L D30 w/ 4:10 then it is to regear. 4:10's with 35's will be a little steep, but much better then 3:73 gears. If you can find a D30 out of a 95, you also get 297X u-joints, like a TJ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.