Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

couple problems..

465 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  ebbaYJ 
#1 ·
Well first off my brakes have been acting very weak, the pads are new as of August of this year. Thought maybe I may have worn them out.. But that soon, I really don't think so. I checked the fluid level and its good. They all of a sudden started acting like this on my way home from work tonight.

Second, fourwheel drive will "engage" meaning I will put it in 4L and the Jeep goes the speed it would normally but the front tires don't spin; acting as if it was still in 2H..

I have no explanation as to why these issues would just start.. Could it be the cold? I live in Central NH, even though a lot of Jeep owners live in a lot colder area's..

If anyone has had similar problems please let me know what you did to fix these problems..

Thanks,

John

#2 ·
Temp shouldn't effect brakes... But my brakes suck all the time, your "master cyllender" may be going out which is fairly cheap and easy to replace but I have 36" tires and MY pads don't even wear out in 5 months.

As for your 4wd I think ur brakes and 4wd are a coincidence and you have to look at a couple things to verify if your 4wd is even TRYING to engage or not... Start with seeing if you are getting vaccum suction at the CAD (central axle disconnect) by pulling off those two rubber lines, put a finger to em' and see which one is sucking if any... Then engage ur transfercase and feel again to see if the vaccum moved from one tube to the other.

If the vaccume switches lines the problem is in your mechanics, not the vaccum... If it doesn't swith or they both suck against ur finger it's a vaccum issue.

To better solve ur 4wd issue we need to know if it's vaccum or mechanical and all that above will tell you.

#6 · (Edited)
thats really odd then.. the other night I was in a pinch and my wheel bearings on my drivers side front axle wore out and instead of fixing it the right way.. I pulled the same inner axle from a 91 YJ that I have at my house and when i took that assembly off I noticed that the inner axle looked like it was smaller in diameter but the gears looked like they were the same diameter and I think that "quick" fix is coming back to haunt me =[

Seems to me I don't have D30 up front in my DD..

#8 ·
Man wheel bearings are like 150 each for the beefy one at advance... Your not replacing those to fix your braking problem are you? By all means if yours are going out they must be replaced just
make sure their is dough left to fix the brake problem if the master cyl. Doesn't fix it lol (brakes)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.