Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Couple of lift questions

700 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Jeepinjoshwa 
#1 ·
Ok, I'm in the middle of doing a body lift and a suspension lift on my 95 YJ. Ran into a couple of headaches that maybe you can help my with.

First-- Is there a trick to getting the knob of the gear shifter. I lossened the lock nut and tried to unscrew the knob and it wont budge. Even shot some PB Blaster up there. When I took the knob off the transfer case shifter I twisted so hard I broke the shifter, need to replace that now. I dont want to do that again with the gear shift.

Secound-- Is there a trick to getting the steering shaft out? I unscrewed the bolt holding the shaft to the colum at the firewall and the one at the steering box, but that shaft is still wedged in there. do I need to take the steering box off?

Lastly(for now)-- I know that in order for the rear driveshaft to work with a 4inch lift you need to either use a TC drop bracket or an SYE. What about the front driveshaft? Will the stock one still fit and work?

Thanks guys, trying to knock these lifts out real soon but this is deffintly the most major automotive project I've ever tackeled, so I'm a little out of my league. But I will finish it, and refuse to pay someone.

See less See more
#2 ·
you shouldn't need to remove the shifters or the steering shaft for either of these lifts. Unless I missed something. The front shaft will be fine too. If you're not going SYE right away, a couple more options to help with angles are a MML and some shims on the rear axle.

#3 ·
The shifter knob screws off counter-clockwise. There's really no trick to get it off.

Depending on the how high you're going with the body, you may need to remove the steering shaft to lengthen it. It's been awhile since I removed one, but I'm pretty sure there is more than 1 bolt holding it in place at the steering box.

The front driveshaft will be fine as-is. No modification required.

#4 ·
Yea the body lift does require the removal of both the steering shaft and the shifters. I quess I'll just have to crank down on the shifter knob and hope it dosent break like the transfer case one did. As for the steering shaft, I removed all the bolts like the instructions said to, just one on each end, but that thing still wont even budge. I was just wondering if there was any particular way it had to come out. I'm glad the front shaft will be good for now, an SYE is i the near future but theres a few more things I want first like a Ford 8.8.

#5 ·
Knight1989 said:
Yea the body lift does require the removal of both the steering shaft and the shifters. I quess I'll just have to crank down on the shifter knob and hope it dosent break like the transfer case one did. As for the steering shaft, I removed all the bolts like the instructions said to, just one on each end, but that thing still wont even budge. I was just wondering if there was any particular way it had to come out. I'm glad the front shaft will be good for now, an SYE is i the near future but theres a few more things I want first like a Ford 8.8.
I just recently did a SYE. Depending on how mechanically inclined you are you may want to do it yourself to save money. I'm pretty confident but left it to the professionals. HOWEVER, what I did do, is pull the T-Case out of my Jeep and took it to a local shop to have them put the slip yoke eliminator in the T-Case. I purchased the SYE from 4wd.com for $250 shipped and paid $140 to have them install it. $390 for my SYE. Of course I had to purchase a CV custom Driveshaft and that cost another $375. For a grand total of $765. I saved a bit from the quotes I received from local shops to do the whole job. Local quotes were ranging from $1100 to $1600.

Pulling the T-Case out is pretty easy. I have AUTO transmission, so I supported tranny with jackstand, removed skid plate, drained fluid from T-case, removed 2 plugs from T case, 1 breather hose, shift arm thingy, rear drive shaft and 6 bolts holding T-case to tranny. Then laid underneath it and pulled and wiggled and hoped it didn't weigh more than I thought. It came right out.... and didn't crush me. From there I took my SYE in box and T-Case in box to local 4X4 shop and picked up next day and installed in reverse order. Took measurement for driveshaft 19" exactly ( 5 1/4 inches of lift, 4" skyjacker suspension and 1 1/4" of shackle lift). I did all this by myself and most difficult part is putting T-Case back in. If you have a floor jack and a little creativity it will make things a lot easier.

Anyhow.... just thought I'd post my experience about my SYE.

Good luck !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.