Could you take a quick peek while the diff cover is still off? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Could you take a quick peek while the diff cover is still off?

Paracord grab handles, door limiting, etc at JeepHut.comRough Country Deals at JeepHut.comNew! JK/U skid plate system.

Unread 03-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
geofri
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Could you take a quick peek while the diff cover is still off?

Hey Fellas,

Still working on the suspension advice, but needed a break for a fun easy project without waiting on parts, so finally changing diff fluid. Yes... should have happened first week of ownership

I've felt this slop if I surge and ease up on the gas. This is the first time seeing inside a differential.

What does this looseness mean.. worn parts? Did I open a new can of worms?

Unread 03-20-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
Anticanman
The Thunder Chunky

1994 YJ Wrangler 

It's tough to see because of the reflection on the ring gear but are there chips taken out on the teeth? A little play is ok but it should probably be a little tighter. There is a tolerance spec for the axle and it seems that this one is loose. Could be a pinion bearing going out causing a little lateral deflection or just the rear axle wasn't put together to spec. It's the stock rear axle. Don't expect it to last forever.

Kudos however for not only posting the video but taking the time to ask about things you don't know and also for just doing regular maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
Listen to what the canman says. You don't have to take it all word for word. But at least listen to the man. He knows his ****. Its a no BS straight to the point realistic approach to things. You may not like it. But someday you might have an Anticanman moment. Like you just had. I know I have. Hell I had 2 last week.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2015, 10:17 PM   #3
chainbreaker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
It's tough to see because of the reflection on the ring gear but are there chips taken out on the teeth? A little play is ok but it should probably be a little tighter. There is a tolerance spec for the axle and it seems that this one is loose. Could be a pinion bearing going out causing a little lateral deflection or just the rear axle wasn't put together to spec. It's the stock rear axle. Don't expect it to last forever.

Kudos however for not only posting the video but taking the time to ask about things you don't know and also for just doing regular maintenance.

I completely agree. It looks a bit loose to me and I thought I saw some metal chips on the ring gear. Take a close look and see if u can tell if they came from the ring or spiders. Do you have any play on your pinion shaft at all? Not rotational but in and out? Might be time for a new set of gears. Or if it were me I would go with a 8.8 from a explorer rather than replace the ring and pinion. Could you post some pics of the ring gear for us to look at? Can't really see much with that reflection on the ring gear.
chainbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
JeeperDon
Join a 4x4 Club

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can't just clunk it back and forth and think excessive play. I get about that much driveshaft rotation on a new setup. You have to lock down the pinion gear (driveshaft) and only look at the play between the fixed pinion gear and the moving ring gear. The call is for .005-.008" or so. In general, yours does not look too bad. Your slop might also (and more likely) be drive shaft u-joints.

The best way I found to check u-joints is... Put the Jeep in gear/park, then while laying under, use a foot on a tire to get the Jeep rocking back/forth. Everything will have to tighten/loosen in opposite directions. Feel around the u-joints and pinion for any motion that shouldn't be there.
Unread 03-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks ok to me too.
Unread 03-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks fine to me as well. Remember there are "gaps" between all of those different engaging gears it's not a absolute solid connection.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.