Could use some help identifying some loose wires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Could use some help identifying some loose wires

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

Could use some help identifying some loose wires

Hi folks,

Normally I am a CJ guy and can deal with wiring issues due to the lack of electrical accessories on my CJ keeping things simple but I picked up a 1989 wrangler recently and it has a couple wires I can't quite figure out where to reconnect.

I would appreciate it if somebody can identify these 3 for me so I can hook them back up.

Here is the first:

Here is the second:

And here is the third:

BTW- this is a 4.2L i6 with an automatic transmission (32RH)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Click HERE to check out my CJ5 restoration project page
CJ5_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Interesting. I went out and looked at my 89 and it has all three of those connectors and they aren't connected so anything.

The middle one I'd noticed before. I always assumed it maybe had something to do with the washer fluid. The other two I had never seen before and dug around and found them stuffed behind the wire harnesses.

BTW, your 89 looks one heck of a lot cleaner under the hood than my 89! My other (much newer) cars don't look that clean.
rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
UnFocused
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The first is the hot lead to the hood light, if equipped. A mercury switch mounted light under the hood near the passenger side hinge. Turns on when the hood is raised.

The second is the ground for the rear window washer fluid pump if equipped. There would be two separate pumps on the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir.

The third is obsolete. Originally the YJ had a computer controlled electrical valve which closed off the PCV circuit at idle, not allowing the PCV to vent gasses to the carb. That was eliminated by a factory recall later on. Thatís the original plug. You should have an unobstructed run from the PCV to the base of the carb.
UnFocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFocused View Post
The first is the hot lead to the hood light, if equipped. A mercury switch mounted light under the hood near the passenger side hinge. Turns on when the hood is raised.

The second is the ground for the rear window washer fluid pump if equipped. There would be two separate pumps on the bottom of the washer fluid reservoir.

The third is obsolete. Originally the YJ had a computer controlled electrical valve which closed off the PCV circuit at idle, not allowing the PCV to vent gasses to the carb. That was eliminated by a factory recall later on. Thatís the original plug. You should have an unobstructed run from the PCV to the base of the carb.
Thanks so much for that info. I've got all three of those loose wires too, and wondered what they were. Now I know.

I wouldn't mind putting the hood light on.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Interesting. Makes sense since my Jeep has no hood light or rear window washer.
rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
Tyler980
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have them all unhooked as well haha. But the one to the hood light is too badly melted to reconnect and super clean under that hood :thumbsup
Tyler980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

Thanks for the info!!!!

Unread 08-09-2013, 12:12 AM   #8
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler980 View Post
I have them all unhooked as well haha. But the one to the hood light is too badly melted to reconnect and super clean under that hood :thumbsup
Thanks, just bought it 2 weeks ago and it is in really good shape. Paid $4500 for it.

But the motor of my CJ is cleaner

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.