Could somebody list the plus's and minus's of locking front axle permanently on YJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
gary1

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Could somebody list the plus's and minus's of locking front axle permanently on YJ

I've read different accounts on this forum concerning bypassing the vacuum motor to lock front axle. I am considering eliminating the vacuum activation of front axle and moving the fork on vacuum motor shaft into the locked position and keeping it there. I've read that this is the same setup the TJ Wranglers have. If that is really the case it would seem that this would present no problems at all. Are there any minus's to this setup, and if so I wonder why Jeep ever went to the solid axle on the TJ's.

To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

YJ = factory didn't balance the front drive shaft
TJ = they did

So, there's the potential that you may get front drive shaft vibrations.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Vaccuum lock

Changing the front axle vaccuum lock to a mechanical is easy and inexpensive. Look for a plastic coated cable to keep the dirt and water out.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 09:14 AM
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
YJ = factory didn't balance the front drive shaft
TJ = they did

So, there's the potential that you may get front drive shaft vibrations.
Plus...
YJ - single u-joint at the tcase
TJ - double u-joint (CV) at the tcase

True about DS vibes due to lack of balancing.
A slight decrease in already dismal MPG's.
Increased wear in the tcase since the front DS will be spinning cuasing the tcase chain, etc to be moving all the time.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
gary1

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloppk View Post
Plus...
YJ - single u-joint at the tcase
TJ - double u-joint (CV) at the tcase

True about DS vibes due to lack of balancing.
A slight decrease in already dismal MPG's.
Increased wear in the tcase since the front DS will be spinning cuasing the tcase chain, etc to be moving all the time.
Based on everything that has been pointed out here, would you think it would be wise for me to make this change, or go ahead and put the $'s into making the old system work. I only put about 5000 easy miles per year on this vehicle. My 4 wheeling consists most of winter driving, and pulling a trailer up into the woods for firewood.
My problem right now is that it is taking longer and longer to engage in 4wd when I shift the lever. By the time it engages I don't need it anymore. I suppose it could be as simple as a vacuum leak. I haven't actually gotten under the Jeep and tried to pinpoint the problem. I just thought if it had all the advantages of a TJ and no drawbacks, I would make the change.

To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

First thing is, if you have a vacuum leak you need to find it and fix it. If that fixes your front axle engaging issue then you're in business. If you go to a mechanical cable engage design vacuum is'nt an issue anymore.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 10:04 AM
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well it costs nothing to give it a try.
Just a matter of popping the disco unit off the axle, removing the "C" clips on the shift rail, sliding the fork all the way to the drivers side and then re-installing the "C" clips and re-installing the disco unit on the axle.
Be sure to line the shift fork up with the shift collar upon re-installation.

If you DS is balanced good enough for your driving situation then leave it locked.
If the vibes are too great for you then you may wish to fix the existing system.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 02:00 PM
540i
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I changed my to locked up all the time, put in an XJ front driveshaft and love it. Yank it into 4 Hi and you are there, no waiting. I've put several hundred highway miles on it now and have no complaints.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 02:02 PM
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Go ahead and lock the axle in, it's the most dependable automatic solution. Ford did away with the vacume setup on the 01 rangers and made them a direct connect system. I've had an 04 and an 09 without a problem. I would rather have it that way. Just pull the t-case lever and you know your in 4wd, nothing else to mess with. The willys jeeps were that way. They should of never did away with lockout hubs. I guess they thought us americans were too lazy to get out and lock them in.

1987 wrangler, 258 I-6, 5-speed.
2007 liberty sport 4X4, automatic
2009 ford ranger 4x4 FX4 OFF/ROAD, 5-speed
post #10 of 10 Old 01-27-2010, 06:13 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540i View Post
I changed my to locked up all the time, put in an XJ front driveshaft and love it. Yank it into 4 Hi and you are there, no waiting. I've put several hundred highway miles on it now and have no complaints.
any special mods to this set up? is there a write up?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.