JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Could this be an ignition switch? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/could-ignition-switch-478964/)

94laredo 10-28-2007 09:36 PM

Could this be an ignition switch?

I just bought a 95 YJ with the 2.5 and 5 speed. I have driven it for about a week now and all of the sudden it wont start. The Jeep has a push button start but the key still has to be in the on position. Usually when I put the key in the on position the fuel pump and guages will come on but they arent doing that now (all of the lights still work though). I can push the start button and it will turn over but without fuel it will not start. I have checked all of the fuses and ground wires with no luck. I think that I have narrowed it down to the column ignition switch. So, with that said, is it possble that the ignition switch would cause a problem like this? Any help or tips would be great. Thanks

sentinal02 10-28-2007 10:03 PM

it certainly could. the ign switch sends a signal to your computer to tell it to initiate the start-up sequence and wait for the engine to crank, ie fuel pump prime, power to the coil, injectors, initial sensor readings, etc. without that signal all you get is the engine turning over, which is all your push button is controlling from the sound of it. find the switch connection at the base of the column and test the yellow wire for a 12V signal with the key on. if you've got it, check your fuses again and make sure the dome fuse is making good contact and isn't loose at all. double check it with a meter to make sure it's good. if that doesn't help your problem, test pin 9 on the computer harness for the same 12v signal to make sure it's not a bad wire/connection. if you have 12V there with the key on, then you may have a bad computer or the main power for the computer itself may be faulty.

sticksnstonesru 10-29-2007 07:06 AM

I have push button on my 94'. Check the maxi-fuses in the fuse block in front of the battery. Once had a 40-amper that blew...but it didn't look blown. Had to put a meter across it to see the open. The symptom was "no juice on the ameter in the cluster, no lights, and no action when the go-button was pushed".

94laredo 11-01-2007 08:51 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Ill check the yellow wire tomorrow after work to see if its hot. I can get an ignition column switch for about $50 if I have to.

Big-n-Broke-YJ 11-01-2007 10:49 PM

ignition switch is less than $20 from advance auto if i remember right....

94laredo 11-03-2007 10:49 PM

Yeah, the switch is cheaper than I thought. I was thinking that I needed the ignition key switch. I checked the yellow wire with the ignition on and it didnt have any juice. Does that mean that the ignition switch at the base of the column is bad (or could be bad)? How hard is this to change? I need to get this thing back on the road.

sentinal02 11-03-2007 11:07 PM

yeah, as long as the fuse under the hood is good, then it's most likely the switch. shouldn't be hard to change. just a matter of a couple screws and making sure the push rod is engaged properly.

94laredo 11-04-2007 07:24 AM

Thanks, Ill go pick one up today.

pasinbuy 11-04-2007 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94laredo
I just bought a 95 YJ with the 2.5 and 5 speed. I have driven it for about a week now and all of the sudden it wont start. The Jeep has a push button start but the key still has to be in the on position. Usually when I put the key in the on position the fuel pump and guages will come on but they arent doing that now (all of the lights still work though). I can push the start button and it will turn over but without fuel it will not start. I have checked all of the fuses and ground wires with no luck. I think that I have narrowed it down to the column ignition switch. So, with that said, is it possble that the ignition switch would cause a problem like this? Any help or tips would be great. Thanks

"I can push the start button and it will turn over but without fuel it will not start."

Did you try to put fuel in it? Works for me every day.

Ryanpowell167 11-04-2007 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasinbuy
"I can push the start button and it will turn over but without fuel it will not start."

Did you try to put fuel in it? Works for me every day.

Did you read the whole post? He says the pump does not cycle....

Check your fuel pump if the swich doesnt work. If it turns over, i would be looking in another direction than the ign switch.

94laredo 11-04-2007 05:22 PM

I changed the ignition switch, ing. fuse under the hood, and the engine management fuse under the hood (both were blown). The yellow wire from the ignition switch still isnt hot and I am still having the same problem. What else could this be? What could I be missing?

94laredo 11-04-2007 05:26 PM

Could this be the key ignition (just a thought)?

sentinal02 11-04-2007 05:41 PM

Quote:

Could this be the key ignition (just a thought)?

if by that you mean the actual key tumbler itself, then i doubt it. the key operates the push rod that slides the actual ign switch that you replaced. unless the rod isn't aligned correctly, or isn't moving with the key, then the switch should be operating. do you have 12V coming into the switch on the red wire? the fact that the fuses were blown says to me you might be dealing with a short.

94laredo 11-04-2007 06:34 PM

I was thinking a short for the same reason. Ill have to check the red wire. The short would probably be between the push button and the ignition switch,right?

sentinal02 11-04-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

I was thinking a short for the same reason. Ill have to check the red wire. The short would probably be between the push button and the ignition switch,right?

it depends on how the push button is wired. from the sound of it all the push button is controlling is the starter relay or providing power directly to the solenoid. since the button is still working i have a feeling that they tapped the red wire off the starter relay and wired it directly to the push button. that would take the ign switch out of the look on the starter circuit. if they did a poor job of capping the unused lead on that, it could easily cause a short that would blow your fuse and possibly short out the feed to the ign switch. do any of your accessories work with the key in the accessory position? heater, radio etc? the headlights are independant of the key

The time now is 06:18 PM.