Could I be in 4 wheel drive all the time? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Could I be in 4 wheel drive all the time?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
mark12010
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Could I be in 4 wheel drive all the time?

I have a 90 YJ and I swapped in a 4.0 from a 94 last summer it works great but I have had a few gauge issues to work out, no biggie. My 4X4 indicator light wasn’t hooked up so I hooked it up put the jeep in 4 wheel drive and started it. The light came on. When I disengaged the 4 wheel drive the light stayed on. I pulled the vacuum line off the indicator switch and I have constant vacuum. So I went to the front axle and I have constant vacuum there as well. I went to the transfer case and noticed that I can only move the lever from 2wd to 4 high when I try to move the lever on the transfer case to neutral or 4 low it won’t budge. What the hell is up with this? Am I supposed to have constant vacuum at the indicator and the front axle?

Unread 04-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
wrathobigv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cant wait for this answer, I have had the same issue, for over a year and it just let go a couple weeks ago. I lost alot of vibration when it let go. So i was wondering the same thing. I changed my vac sensor in my D30, and TC also. I know my TC was in 2wd, but I was wondering if my hubs stayed engaged.

Sorry I couldnt help ya, but thanks for asking this ???
wrathobigv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

First off, You need to do this while driving the jeep, not sitting in place or it wont work.

Second, in order to go to neutral and 4 lo, you need to move the shifter to the right about 3/4" because there is a Z gate to prevent you from dropping it into 4lo at speed.

Third, a basic lesson in shifting the 231 case. You need to be moving at least 5mph in order for it to shift properly in and out of 2HI-4HI. You can do this up to 45 mph (if you need 4wd at 45mph, maybe you need to slow down FYI).

In order to get into 4 LO, you need to be at a crawl just slightly moving and already be in 4HI.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
First off, You need to do this while driving the jeep, not sitting in place or it wont work.

Second, in order to go to neutral and 4 lo, you need to move the shifter to the right about 3/4" because there is a Z gate to prevent you from dropping it into 4lo at speed.

Third, a basic lesson in shifting the 231 case. You need to be moving at least 5mph in order for it to shift properly in and out of 2HI-4HI. You can do this up to 45 mph (if you need 4wd at 45mph, maybe you need to slow down FYI).

In order to get into 4 LO, you need to be at a crawl just slightly moving and already be in 4HI.
I've shifted to 4-Hi at 70 mph. (Bridges along the interstate just for "in case" sake of if there was black ice since bridges freeze faster and all that jazz.)
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure about the '90 models but my vacuum shifter has two vacuum ports and there is always constant vacuum on one depending on if I'm in 4wd or not. One side pulls the fork over and the other pulls it back. Now I did have the same issue you are having with the indicator light. I pulled the cover and found that my shifter motor had gotten stuck so I cleaned it out good and it works fine now. Well I think it does. My switch for the light was knocked off by a rock a few years ago. Since I have filled it with JB Weld.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhajad View Post
I've shifted to 4-Hi at 70 mph. (Bridges along the interstate just for "in case" sake of if there was black ice since bridges freeze faster and all that jazz.)
The manual says any legal speed but honestly, there really is no need for it at that speed.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 04-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
mark12010
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was not using the lever inside the cab. I dissconnected it and was moving the actual linkage on the transfercase.
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12010 View Post
I was not using the lever inside the cab. I dissconnected it and was moving the actual linkage on the transfercase.
It is fairly hard to do it with just the linkage. There is alot of torque in that little lever setup.

Unread 04-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
srf4life
1989 YJ Wrangler 

WOW I was not aware that I should be shifting from 2H to 4H while moving. I have always done this while stopped.

I know that I need to adjust the linkage somewhat because I can not get into 4L. This occurred after I added my 3/4 shackles.

The 4WD indicator is out but I know I am spinning the front wheels at least as of last month when I went to the mountains. The indicator was out but the 4WD worked perfectly. I will check the switch and the light. God forbid it finally may have burned out after 21 years hahahaha
Unread 04-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
mark12010
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It is fairly hard to do it with just the linkage. There is alot of torque in that little lever setup.
I realize this but when I hook up the shifter, and yes I am aware of the Z gate I can pull it down to 4 hi but a team of 20 men couldnt pull it into neutral or 4 low. I know it isnt the shifter because when dissconnected from the transfer case the shifter moves freely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.