COST OF UPGRADE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > COST OF UPGRADE

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-28-2001, 09:19 PM   #1
puckeater1

COST OF UPGRADE

I see all of these questions about uprgading to a V8, however i never see any cost or dollar amounts associated. Im sure there is a wide range, because of mileage and if the engine is new, but do any of you have ideas of how much these engines run? and once you purchase one, what is needed and involved in swaping them out. i havea 2.5L 4cyl.

thanks for your hlep

Unread 12-29-2001, 07:26 AM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

Its hard to keep track of dollar amounts when doing these type of swap unless you keep track of it.The one reason I did not swap to v8
is the cost plus there many other factors like a complete engine with all the goodies.Power steering pump alot of the electrics and if its a chevy you will need an adaptor.But im am sure someone could give a good est.There are some engines that may bolt in but I am not sure the one reason is you have a 4cyl and your tranny most likley want cut it.So you are looking at replacing engine and tranny.Not to forget motor mounts and the skill of welding.But if you have the money anything can be done.My 4.2 6cyl is strong now.So maybe in the future i might run a 350.
Once my 4.2 dies.
Unread 12-30-2001, 08:29 PM   #3
Soup

I spent about 3000 when the 258 in my Jeep went bust. I put in a 350. There where quite a few adaptations that had to be made. By the way, about 800 of the 3000 was for labor. This was too much of a job for me and I think that I got a hell of a good deal.
Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2001, 10:33 PM   #4
SFM1AE2

I have been researching the 350 swap for some time now. The cost will depend on how fancy you want the swap to be...fuel injected new 350 with all the accessories (alt, pwr steering pump, harmonic blancer, headers.......) or you can pull one from a junk yard that is carberated (much easier)and it comes with all the accessories. I looked toward the 350 as opposed to other V8s because Advanced Adapters makes a bolt on engine mount for the 350 into a YJ. The tranny will probably have to be replaced too because of the extra power. You have a couple of options here. Autotrans 350 or 700R....manualtrans NV4500or many others that can work. If you want a real numbers you should order avanced adapters jeep conversion book and then start adding up the parts and finding prices. I'm on the five year program to collect everything I'll need. Chev 350 $500-1000, bolt in engine mount $200, wiring harness $$$, bellhousing adapter $500(guess), GM NV4500 $1000(junkyard guess), 23spline to 21 spline change to mount to NP231 transfer case $500 (guess), NP231 transfercase adapter $500 (guess), and then new drive lines because they will have to fabricated to the new lengths required by the change in the length of my 350-NV4500-NP231 setup $700 (guess). Oh yeah I almost forgot the inevitable short shaft kit for the NP231 $600 installed (guess). Again this is the five year plan that will probable happen in ten but I hope this helps. Anyone who sees it different please chime in.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.