Correcting Rear End Angle - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Correcting Rear End Angle

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 05-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #31
DirtyDog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Siva for the link but a lot of it was too technical and advanced for me. I did read it though.

I had the damaged U Joint changed today like you suggested without shimming, and I didn't feel any vibrations driving around town.

I am going to run it by the offroad shop tomorrow and have one of the guys take a look and let me know what they think.

DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #32
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Thanks Siva for the link but a lot of it was too technical and advanced for me. I did read it though.

I had the damaged U Joint changed today like you suggested without shimming, and I didn't feel any vibrations driving around town.

I am going to run it by the offroad shop tomorrow and have one of the guys take a look and let me know what they think.
That's s good plan. Double check what the shop with is jere on the forum to be sure though

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #33
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post

Also if you have any questions about anything you read on the page from the link feel free to ask and we will try to fill I'm tje blanld to help you understand

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #34
DirtyDog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, took the YJ by the shop yesterday and the owner put an angle finder to it. He said everything was almost dead on and, he didn't recommend shimming at this point.

The guy who checked it does quite a bit of work on race cars, and he seemed very knowledgable on drive shafts and angles b/c he has to customize drive shafts all the time. He didn't even charge me anything to look at it.

I think he said it was 85 degrees at the transfer case and 83.5 degrees at the rear axle, and he explained how those angles cancel each other out which the article talked about.

I didn't feel any vibrations either driving over there, so hopefully my U joint holds up. So, for now, I will just leave things be and if I have to put a shim under there, I am fairly certain 2 degrees would be the most I want to use. Thanks all for your help.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.