Correcting Rear End Angle - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Correcting Rear End Angle

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipArtec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #16
DirtyDog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I guess I spoke too soon about the T-Case Drop working like a charm.

I have been having some vibrations the past few days, especially when decelerating.

When I finally got under the Jeep to check, my U Joint nearest the rear axle is completely shot.

Obviously, the bad U Joint is causing my vibration problem. I guess the change in the drive line angle was too much for my U-Joint to handle.

I have ordered two new U-Joints and some Warrior 6 degree steel shims to put under my leaf springs in the hope this will correct my angle problem.

Has anyone out there done a 4" pro comp lift on a YJ before and been able to correct their vibration problems with just a T-Case drop and some shims, or am I destined to have to spend another $600 for the SYE?

DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Well, I guess I spoke too soon about the T-Case Drop working like a charm.

I have been having some vibrations the past few days, especially when decelerating.

When I finally got under the Jeep to check, my U Joint nearest the rear axle is completely shot.

Obviously, the bad U Joint is causing my vibration problem. I guess the change in the drive line angle was too much for my U-Joint to handle.

I have ordered two new U-Joints and some Warrior 6 degree steel shims to put under my leaf springs in the hope this will correct my angle problem.

Has anyone out there done a 4" pro comp lift on a YJ before and been able to correct their vibration problems with just a T-Case drop and some shims, or am I destined to have to spend another $600 for the SYE?
My YJ had a 4" Superlift when I got it with a tcase drop and leaf spring shims without the SYE installed with no vibe issues. I don't have that lift anymore but it worked just fine without the SYE for me.

"The locks on my doors are for your protection not mine."

My YJ Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...rship-1481851/
Ken3783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

6 degree's is to much without an sye. Replace your u joint and drive it a bit. When you drove it without hte Tcase drop it probably took its toll on it and came out after the tcase drop.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #19
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Read and reread the info at this link until it makes sense. It will explain all of this to you very well and give you a great understanding of what is going on.

http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.asp

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
Cashcrazy

I had a CJ7 with 4" leaf spring lift, 2" shackle lift, and a 1" body lift. The angle was a real problem for me so I did a 1" tcase drop. Instead of shims I removed the spring perches and re welded new ones with the pinion turned up. I can't remember the degree of angle I used on the pinion but it was supposed to be the max before having problems. I had zero vibration problems. I think the shackle lift created a bump steer death trap problem so I shimmed the front axle. I could not turn the pinion on it because the front axle was from a Scout D44 and the spring sat on the edge of the pumpkin which had been professionally milled and I didnt want to mess it up. I have been told shimming the front is a no-no, but it did help the death steer.
Cashcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #21
DirtyDog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have taken some pictures of my drive line and uploaded them to imageshack.

Would you guys take a look and tell me what you think about my angles?

Again, the U-Joint that went bad is the one closest to the rear axle, not the one near the transfer case. If you look closely, the top snapped off.

These are taken from the passenger side of the Jeep.

http://imageshack.com/my/images

The shims that I ordered are 6 degree shims from Warrior, but I don't want to put them in and mess something else up if all I need is new u joints.
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #22
DirtyDog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Is my previous picture link working for everyone?

Here are some other links in the event the first one wasn't working. Let me know what you all think.

http://imageshack.com/photo/my-image...img0010oj.jpg/

http://imageshack.com/photo/my-image...img0004rh.jpg/

http://imageshack.com/photo/my-image...img0005hn.jpg/

http://imageshack.com/photo/my-image...cimg0011a.jpg/

http://imageshack.com/photo/my-image...img0002rc.jpg/
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #23
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Based on those photos the axle could be positioned better through a 2 or 4, depending, but a 6 seems too much. I had a 6 on my 6" lift before my 8.8 swap and a 6 would be too much, in my opinion, for a 4". If the vibes only started a few days ago after working for awhile, I would just fix the broken parts and ride that. If the vibes are still there then worry shimming the axle at that point.

"The locks on my doors are for your protection not mine."

My YJ Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...rship-1481851/
Ken3783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #24
fbv193
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I believe that with the rear axle dropped 4 inches lower, you will need an angled shim to bring the pinion up a bit even with a TC drop. I dont know if 6 degrees is correct though, it may be. You did right by ordering steel shims, the aluminum ones crack and break apart, then get spit out. My first lift came with aluminum shims, they did not last. When I put my current lift on (3.5 inch) I made some steel shims, they are still intact after lots of hard use.
fbv193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #25
DirtyDog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input thus far.

I would hold off on the shims, but I don't want to risk messing up U joints again.

I imagine I will need longer centering pins as a result of having to install shims. Anyone know what length pins I will need?

I am thinking of getting some 4 degree shims as a middle of the road option between the 2 degree and 6 degree.
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #26
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I started a thread recently in the drivetrain section titled need driveline help. I have a 4" procomp lift and had to remove my shims to get everything right. There are before and after pics. My solution might not apply for your problem because I'm running a Chevy 350. You can also check out the billavista tech pages on pirate 4x4. There is some good info there. Sorry I don't know how to post links from the IPod with the jeepforum app

Sent from here to there using JeepForum
ki4cye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #27
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Before
image-2123824975.jpg

image-704519210.jpg

image-2225682478.jpg

After
image-1383911158.jpg

image-982403459.jpg

image-896231524.jpg

Sent from here to there using JeepForum
image-1343841187.jpg  
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #28
DirtyDog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Based on your pics ki4cye, it would look like my rear axle needs to come up just a tad. I would say mine is pointed just a tad downward compared to yours.
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:47 AM   #29
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The way i understood it if your not running a double cardin the pinion shaft and the transfer case shaft should be at the same angle. The transfer case will be higher than the pinion. As long as the drive shaft angle doesnt excede the limits of the u joint throught its travel it will be ok. Someone please correct me if im wrong.

Sent from my DROID X2 using JeepForum
Unread 05-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #30
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki4cye View Post
The way i understood it if your not running a double cardin the pinion shaft and the transfer case shaft should be at the same angle. The transfer case will be higher than the pinion. As long as the drive shaft angle doesnt excede the limits of the u joint throught its travel it will be ok. Someone please correct me if im wrong.

Sent from my DROID X2 using JeepForum
This is correct. If he read the link I posted he would know this

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.