Corbeau 3-Point Retractable Harness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Corbeau 3-Point Retractable Harness

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
ThreeHeadedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Corbeau 3-Point Retractable Harness

I installed a pair of Corbeau retractable harness belts a few weeks ago and I am pleased with the results so I thought I would share with everyone the install.

I have been running a pair of Corbeau CR1 seats for a 3-4 years now and I have to say they are awesome. Well, both of my factory seat-belts decided to fail about a month ago (driver latch mechanism, passenger tumbler for belt extension); so I decided it was time for an upgrade!

I ended up going with Corbeau's Retractable harness belt option because I wanted the freedom of reaching my dash once I was buckled in; but the security and added visual aesthetics of the harness belt.

The link to the seat belts is provided below:
http://www.corbeau.com/products/harn...harness_belts/

Install was pretty straight forward after I figured out where I was going to mount everything. To keep from drilling more holes in the jeep than necessary I decided to use the stock locations for the seat-belt roller and clicker already in the jeep to mount the waist sections of the harness belt (I replaced the star bolts with grade 8 for my own convenience).

The new Corbeau roller belt however I did end up drilling new holes in order to mount them. I chose to mount them on the cage frame plate at the bottom of the cage directly behind the seats (part of the roll cage that bolts to the body). I chose this spot to help tie the harness to the cage.

As for safety I purchased a Rockhard4x4 harness belt cage bar that bolts onto the existing stock cage, so no weld required! This bar is crucial when running a harness belt because of its position behind the seat. This bar is suppose to be between 2-6" below the shoulder height of the driver. In case of an accident the harness bar will distribute the weight of the harness belt pulling down on the driver and transfer it through the cage rather than the belt pulling on the driver down towards the floor; resulting in compressing the spine and possibly causing serious injures!

There were only a few minor things I had to do in order for this install to work appropriately. I cut myself some angle iron to allow the inside harness waist belt piece to be mounted correctly... Also I ended up cutting a slit in the rockhard4x4 bar in the center of the belt guide area in order to get the belts to stay in the guide so they didnt slide off to the sides.

With the new rockhard4x4 bar I decided to purchase a set of Hi-Lift jack mounts from Demello Offroad to mount my jack to the harness bar behind the seats!
http://www.demello-offroad.com/shop/...roducts_id=116

Pics are Finally below!!
If anyone has any questions just ask!

img_1609.jpg

img_9102.jpg

img_3058.jpg

img_2403.jpg

img_4115.jpg

img_6862.jpg

Full Metalcloak. Poison Spyder Trailgate & Rear Bumper. Custom Front Bumper. 3.5" Black Diamond. 35" Mtz. KC lights. Delta Headlights. Corbeau. Supper 44 Flowmaster Diamond plate. Savvy Tail lights. Superbrightleds.com. 8.8. 95 Booster w/ 1-1/8" MC
ThreeHeadedYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
ThreeHeadedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Link to Rockhard 4x4 Harness Bar:
http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1004a.htm
Full Metalcloak. Poison Spyder Trailgate & Rear Bumper. Custom Front Bumper. 3.5" Black Diamond. 35" Mtz. KC lights. Delta Headlights. Corbeau. Supper 44 Flowmaster Diamond plate. Savvy Tail lights. Superbrightleds.com. 8.8. 95 Booster w/ 1-1/8" MC
Unread 09-01-2014, 03:42 PM   #3
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck with that "lockable" harness feature. Those knobs have to be in just the right position to lock those belts up. When I first got them they would rattle out over bumpy dirt roads and defeat the purpose of having a harness.

They are such a pita to use now I rarely use the shoulder portion. I hope you fair better in the long term with them than I have.
Unread 09-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've thought about going to harnesses but was told by a friend who races off-road not to put in a harness unless you first add a full cage. His thinking is you don't want to be strapped sitting upright if the windshield and factory bar collapse.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno72 View Post
I've thought about going to harnesses but was told by a friend who races off-road not to put in a harness unless you first add a full cage. His thinking is you don't want to be strapped sitting upright if the windshield and factory bar collapse.
They also aren't street legal, off road only. Most folks that want to run street to use a dual setup, stock style for on road and those for off. Don't know where you live, but up here cops know stuff like that and they pick on modified vehicles.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #6
ThreeHeadedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have not had any problems with the "locking" function so far.
They worked extremely well the last three times I have been offroad, and they have behaved themselves on the road as well. I think I found a sweet spot in the dial where they are working so far. But like you said, I am curious how they hold up in the long term as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Good luck with that "lockable" harness feature. Those knobs have to be in just the right position to lock those belts up. When I first got them they would rattle out over bumpy dirt roads and defeat the purpose of having a harness.

They are such a pita to use now I rarely use the shoulder portion. I hope you fair better in the long term with them than I have.
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #7
ThreeHeadedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I realize that they are not DOT approved, but you can get away with a lot here in Ohio. Plus these are better than no seat-belts in my opinion. If I have any problem in the future I can always do what you suggest and have stock for daily use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
They also aren't street legal, off road only. Most folks that want to run street to use a dual setup, stock style for on road and those for off. Don't know where you live, but up here cops know stuff like that and they pick on modified vehicles.
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:09 AM   #8
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing like having the government mandate less safety...
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 05:58 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
Nothing like having the government mandate less safety...
They figure you can't do proper shoulder checks when changing lanes with both shoulders strapped in is what I read.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #10
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They figure you can't do proper shoulder checks when changing lanes with both shoulders strapped in is what I read.
Makes sense.

But then the average American driver is a lazy operator, and they wouldn't shoulder-check even if not belted in at all.
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Shoulder checks interfere with texting, one has to go, besides we're making cars that brake for you when you're not looking up, tell you when you left your lane, even "see" for you when you can't be bothered. It used to be old folks were scary drivers, at least most don't text or read email while driving.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a question....... How does the retractable part function if the belts wrap around the shoulder bar? OR,,,,, are they just layed across the bar?
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #13
Steve707
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
God forbid people use their neck to turn their head instead of turning their torso.
Steve707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #14
ThreeHeadedYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ill snap a couple of better photos soon.
But basically they go through the slots in the seats, over the big bar, around and back through the little guide bar (the one I had to cut a slit in the center to get the belts through), then go down to where they click in place.
The amount I can lean forward is roughly the distance from the buckle to the little guide bar.
The passenger one I adjusted to be a little bit less retractable. That's why the buckle is sitting higher up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
I have a question....... How does the retractable part function if the belts wrap around the shoulder bar? OR,,,,, are they just layed across the bar?
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #15
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ah OK, I thought they were actually wrapped around the bar.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.