coolant temperature sensor '89 YJ 2.5L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > coolant temperature sensor '89 YJ 2.5L

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 01-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
pyrobyro
1989 YJ Wrangler 

coolant temperature sensor '89 YJ 2.5L

Howdy everyone. Looks like my sensor may be dead since my gauge is no longer registering any heat. My manual is not very descriptive as to where to find the sensor, other than it is in the thermostat body. Can anyone do a walkthrough on this for an idiot like myself? It will be much appreciated!!!

pyrobyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
RoscoeJ
1986 CJ7 

If your talking about temp sensor its on the drivers side near the firewall ,on your manifold.
RoscoeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
pyrobyro
1989 YJ Wrangler 

coolant temperature sensor vs. temperature sending unit

If my water temp gauge is not registering any temp at all, do I need to start with the sending unit or the sensor? Just a little confused between the two different systems.
Unread 01-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I stole this pic from another thread in a post by Burnerman. I hope he doesn't mind!

The pic is of a 6 cylinder 4.2L, but your 2.5L has the gauge sender in the same place on your engine. It has just 1 wire connected to it. It works by grounding the gauge, so if you pull the wire connector off & ground it out the gauge will show it's hottest reading, with the key on of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
pyrobyro
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Great! I found it and will replace the sending unit tomorrow. The picture saved the day!
Unread 10-30-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
roadhog481

thanks for the pic. i almost pulled the knock sensor
roadhog481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
veitski87
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I stole this pic from another thread in a post by Burnerman. I hope he doesn't mind!

The pic is of a 6 cylinder 4.2L, but your 2.5L has the gauge sender in the same place on your engine. It has just 1 wire connected to it. It works by grounding the gauge, so if you pull the wire connector off & ground it out the gauge will show it's hottest reading, with the key on of course!

I know this is an old thread but I am having a problem with a conversion and need to know what the one circles in red is is that the gauge sender? And if I ground it. Does it always stay at the hottest?
Unread 12-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veitski87 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I am having a problem with a conversion and need to know what the one circles in red is is that the gauge sender? And if I ground it. Does it always stay at the hottest?
yes....
flcracker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #9
veitski87
1992 YJ Wrangler 

And the solution would be? I have a 98 4.0 I put in.
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
spooky1

im replacing all of my factory guages> with mechanical guages because the circuit stirp is bad and opens up on occasions high temp,low temp aka weather changes. so out with them> it was not a good a design from the factory its supposed to last forever!! or at least as long as the jeep still runs!!
www,surpluscenter.com ask for niki/nicole mariscal!! great service, fast delivery, very fast from nebraska to georgia! call early it may ship same day?? middle of america.
(i am not connected/own/or what ever to surplus center) just nice folks!
since i live remote 40 miles round trip into a store, its easier /cheaper to order on line> even with shipping cost its cheaper!
spooky
spooky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
spooky1

ps:buy a year engine specific shop manual>> bite the bullet ! pay the price!

its pays in the long run to have the correct manual>> just like good tools,(i have a ripsaw from 1957) calipers from 1934(still calibrates perfectly) even my o=scope 1973 also bullet proof .
all of the good tools and correct products pay off, life tools with a life time guarantee .
spooky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
veitski87
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I just bypassed the stock sensor and got a splice kit that taps off the fluid in the radiator hose. Works great.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.