Coolant leaking from driver side of engine - Not freeze plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Coolant leaking from driver side of engine - Not freeze plugs

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Coolant leaking from driver side of engine - Not freeze plugs

So I have noticed drips of coolant on the floor the last few days but I haven't really been driving the Jeep. I thought it might be a leak from the temp sensor that doesn't look like it's properly seated.

However, the wife and I ran errands yesterday and today there was a lot of coolant on the cardboard I had under the jeep. I think I tracked it down to two bolts on the driver side of the engine between the block and the exhaust manifold.

Does anyone know why coolant would leak here and any idea how to get to those bolts? This leak is present even when the Jeep hasn't been running...

In other news, what the heck is this plug (in yellow)??? And you can see my temp sensor issue and how it appears to be leaking some also.

Also, when I noticed it the coolant was also down on the front plate of the tranny and then I noticed it was joined with either oil or tranny fluid. It's hard to tell which because I have new oil and new Redline MT (yellowish in color) and this oil looks dirty and smells like the coolant that leaked on to it.
Looks like the YJ is getting dismantled soon...

Oh, and no that isn't rust on the bottom of my YJ. It's red Georgia clay that the PO apparently never felt like getting rid of so I'm working on it and will be power washing it off eventually.

dcocch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Kudos on the pics, although it is still hard for me to decipher the exact location that you are referring to. I know you stated that this is not a freeze plug leak, but given the location towards the back of the engine, are you aware that there is a freeze plug behind the flywheel at the rear of the block?
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Could be a radiator hose but my bet is the water pump is going out.

Edit: didn't see that it was at the back of the block.
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's on the driver side of the block near where the exhaust pipe drops down from the manifold. The first picture should be flipped 90 degrees so it looks right. This is basically right below and a little towards the front of where the temp sensor is.

In the last month I have replaced the radiator, hoses, and water pump. It is definitely not coming from any of those locations. At first I thought it was from one of the heat hoses but after watching it drip, it's definitely on the driver side of the engine block near the freeze plugs on that side.
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Coolant runs through the intake manifold check it for leaks. The easy way is to bypass the intake coolant passage.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
Coolant runs through the intake manifold check it for leaks. The easy way is to bypass the intake coolant passage.
I'm not really sure what you mean. I know coolants runs through the intake manifold but I'm not sure how I would bypass it to check for a leak.

I'm 99% sure those two bolts are where the leak is coming from. I was just hoping someone knew a way to fix it without removing everything on the drivers side of the engine compartment.
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Jeep-Wrangler-Cherokee-Long-Block-Engine-2-5-150-1983-1995-/00/s/Mzc1WDUwMA==/$(KGrHqR,!i!F!L9!)03uBQT9ICLeSg~~60_1.JPG

From this pic it looks like there is nothing in that area that would leak
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If it is behind the exhaust manifold, see those 3 small freeze plugs on the head ? That is a place I would check real well.

You may have to strip everything off that side of the block to make sure, will have to anyway to fix any leak there or pull the head if it is head gasket related
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Start on top and work (eliminate) your way down. You already suspect the temp sender, and by the pic, it's really wet looking on top of the head. Gravity and then the little bit of running you did will spread a little mess all over. No "easy" way to fix it. Just got to get in there and do it!
Cooter92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Coolant runs through the intake manifold? I am unaware of that, in my inline GM and my YJ's 4.0 coolant does not run through the intake. Is this something that only the 2.5 has?
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd check the freeze plugs on the head, maybe get a pressure tester to help you out.

The oil leak is most likely your valve cover. And the plug is for the power steering pressure switch. I assume you don't have power steering, so it's just zip tied on the harness.
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #12
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
Coolant runs through the intake manifold? I am unaware of that, in my inline GM and my YJ's 4.0 coolant does not run through the intake. Is this something that only the 2.5 has?
The 4.2 has a coolant passage through the intake. You would bypass it with a piece of pipe 5/8" I think and some hose clamps.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'll start with the temp sensor and see how it goes. I'll keep y'all posted.
Unread 07-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #14
Emily922
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

I have a similar leak in the same spot. Has anyone had success with bars leaks products for this sort of thing?
Emily922 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #15
Reno72

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter92YJ View Post
Start on top and work (eliminate) your way down. You already suspect the temp sender, and by the pic, it's really wet looking on top of the head. Gravity and then the little bit of running you did will spread a little mess all over. No "easy" way to fix it. Just got to get in there and do it!
^^This, start with what you know is leaking, replace and see if that fixes the problem. As the antifreeze drips down it will travel back picking up whatever oil is on the block as it goes, so the dark mix of fluids doesn't mean much, it could all be from the original temp sensor leak traveling.
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.