Coolant leak - Hope someone has some insight - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Coolant leak - Hope someone has some insight

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
dkirkley
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Coolant leak - Hope someone has some insight

Hey everyone,

I got a coolant leak on my 93 YJ 2.5 the other day and it was a pretty fast leak.

After leaving it alone a few days most of the coolant was gone and when I checked under it looked like the leak was out of the lower radiator hose.

I removed the old one and didn't find much wear or any cracks. I replaced it anyway.

I recently replaced the upper radiator hose and the heater hose as well because those had cracked.

Anyway,

Besides those three hoses I don't know where else to look. Anyone have insight? It drips from the front of the oil pan right next to the belt and the top end doesn't appear to be damp at all.

Here are some pictures. Hopefully I explained it well enough. Maybe the water pump or something?

image-4-.jpeg   image-5-.jpeg   image-6-.jpeg  
dkirkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Water pump. Leaks tiny bits and it flows down.
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
dkirkley
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That being said, anyone got a quick link to a sticky? I can always search but I'm being lazy
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirkley View Post
That being said, anyone got a quick link to a sticky? I can always search but I'm being lazy
A sticky to replace your water pump? Just look from below at the bottom of the pump and see if it's leaking from the weep hole. If it is, out it comes.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar View Post

A sticky to replace your water pump? Just look from below at the botoom of the pump and see if it's leaking from the weep hole. If it is, out it comes.
Mine was leaking in the same spot about a week ago i replaced the pump the thermostat upper and lower radiater hoses i also went ahead and replaced my tranny fluid coolant hose might as well replace the tranny hose while you got it tour down i have the 4.0 grand cherokee that hose is very unpleasant to get to other wise.this might save you some trouble go ahead and look the parts up from who ever you go threw just wright the part numbers down and match them up before you leave the store i failed to do that and the idiot gave me a water pump thermostat and lower n upper radiater hoses that went on the cherokee so that was the biggest waste of time with nothing but a tranny coolant line replaced it sucked
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #6
dkirkley
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtKar

A sticky to replace your water pump? Just look from below at the botoom of the pump and see if it's leaking from the weep hole. If it is, out it comes.
Remind me what a weep hole is?
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirkley View Post

Remind me what a weep hole is?
Not really sure. If i had a guess crawl under the front if the jeep look up past the front of the oil pan and you will see your water pump the weep hole is most likely going to be on the bottom of the water pump where the coolant is dripping,drizzling, draining what ever its doing...but like i said thats my guess if no one else replys about in abit ill get my repair manual and find out for sure
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #8
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01

Not really sure. If i had a guess crawl under the front if the jeep look up past the front of the oil pan and you will see your water pump the weep hole is most likely going to be on the bottom of the water pump where the coolant is dripping,drizzling, draining what ever its doing...but like i said thats my guess if no one else replys about in abit ill get my repair manual and find out for sure
Yes that is the basics of a weephole. If the pumps bearing is shot fluid will be able to escape out of this little hole. Take your belt off and see if there is any play, side to side, up or down and in and out movement on the pumps pulley. If there is any at all, replace.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #9
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirkley
Box has instructions in it, drain, unbolt, clean, bolt, fill and test. Easy peasy.

[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
Box has instructions in it, drain, unbolt, clean, bolt, fill and test. Easy peasy.

You also have to pull the pulley off.
Most auto parts places rent the tool to take it off and put it back on.
Grab a Haynes or Chiltons why you are at the parts store.
It will tell you how to do it and what to torque the bolts to.
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
You also have to pull the pulley off.
Most auto parts places rent the tool to take it off and put it back on.
Grab a Haynes or Chiltons why you are at the parts store.
It will tell you how to do it and what to torque the bolts to.
The cooling fan on my jeep didn't need that tool four nuts is what holds my fan on. i remove the fan shroud and fan at the same time same goes for installation its practically imposible to remove one or the other at different times
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Coolant coming from the weep hole means your water pump bearing is shot. Once they go south , it starts wearing the seal and they drill a hole to let the coolant drip out and let you know before catastrophic damage. A waterpump that comes apart takes a lot of other stuff like the fan, the radiator beltts and hoses and if your looking at it when it does,you too. I was filling the rad on a fresh install of a new rebuilt one and if I hadnt bent down to pick up a dropped hose it woulda got me.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 View Post
The cooling fan on my jeep didn't need that tool four nuts is what holds my fan on. i remove the fan shroud and fan at the same time same goes for installation its practically imposible to remove one or the other at different times
oops, yea you are right.
Thinking about a different vehicle.
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
oops, yea you are right.
Thinking about a different vehicle.
Lol **** happens huh
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #15
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

While you're right there, you may want to check the condition of your fan clutch and replace that if it's wobbly. 4 bolts and you're home free. As long as you're in the neighborhood .......

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.