Coolant leak help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Coolant leak help

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-14-2011, 06:30 AM   #1
lkostenbader
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Coolant leak help

So last night when I was walking our of the store I saw a small puddle of coolant forming under my jeep. After looking around the engine bay I saw it was coming out of a little spout that's located under the battery holder. Its at about 10-15 drops a minuet. It also is leaking from the inside on the passenger side from under the heating vent. I have no idea what i would need to fix or replace. My buddy said the spout might be a overflow spout for an overflow coolant tank but he wasn't sure. Any ideas?

(Pics not of my jeep) but that's where the spout is.

j.jpg  
lkostenbader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
tydp
1993 YJ Wrangler 

leak

Heater core is leaking.....you will have to remove the "heater box" inside the Jeep. Heater core is inside the heater box...
tydp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
nembudonna
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Heater core rusted through or a hose leaking.
nembudonna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That's going to be fun while the dash is in................
tdewit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The spout is a drain from your heater/ac box that allows condensation to drain outside of the cab. If it is coolant, then x2 on the heater core going bad on you. They are not that hard to change out, but just in case, do check the heater hoses to be sure they are tight. They could leak enough to run inside, the out the drain.
Cooter92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
lkostenbader
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input. Gana go grab a new heater core at Napa and swap it out in the morning and hopefully it will be good as new.
lkostenbader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's not bad to replace, look in the FAQ's, there's a good write up in there.

Edit: Here ya go.... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/heater-core-219329/ Might also replace the blower motor since you're already in there. I did the motor and not the core and about three months later the core started leaking...
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.