Coolant leak but.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Coolant leak but....

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Coolant leak but....

This is my first jeep and I am hooked so it won't be the last just trying to figure out when I move to a new project or keep at the one I got. Barn find essentially. Second owner(my friend) bought it in 95 from the orig owner.. I have less than $500 into it right now.

So through searching and inspection I have found that the coolant leaking off the bell housing is most likely from my frost/freeze plug on the back of the block and not the one on the head two weeks after I replaced the radiator. 150k on the motor. Thinking this is the beginning of a very expensive process. Drop the tranny and rebuild it, drop the xfrcase and rebuilt it. Rebuild both axles. Rebuild the motor. Should be able to pull the tub and fix all rust easy. Solid frame all the way around. Already have parts on the way to replace the front brakes had to rebuild the rear brakes to get it home. Not looking to do any lift or anything its a daily driver for me so all orig replacement parts going back on. I have access to full hydraulic lift, engine lift and tranny jack.

So two questions. One, at what dollar amount do i stop to get my money out? (1993 YJ Base, 2.5L, 5 speed all orig, danas and 231) -Stars and Stripes edition that was sold to Olympic athletes has a tag on it don't know if that means squat.
Two - the leak is pretty light right now (tennis ball size after 45 miles). Any clue how far it will go before it blows out? I know the obvious way to find out. but curious if anyone has ever pushed it.

You guys have helped a ton with stuff. I have no problem doing all the rebuilds and already have all the tools. Any feedback is appreciated.

IA93Javert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It depends on how much they are worth in your area, but I wouldn't stop at any point. I plan on keeping mine until it disintigrates or someone steals it, so forever. If I had to guess, I would say invest shy of $3000, it is probably worth $4,500. My friend bought a sweet 1990 YJ, stock for that price in Los Angeles 2 years ago
Unread 09-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Cool thanks. Guess I should have said that. I am in Iowa. Rechecked the leak area. Clean it all off. Looks like it is actually coming around to the housing from the water pump. On my way to get a new one. Good omens on top of it. My new shocks and calipers showed up after I posted. I will respond back if the pump fixes it. Thanks again for the input. I will stick with the plan and just keep going.
Unread 09-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #4
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Are you asking at what dollar amount of care I would pull the plug on my brother even if there is a chance, with more money, he'd survive his life threatening illness? Because that's what it is for me and our YJ.

The other side of the coin for me is I buy, refurbish, and resell jeeps. I do not FLIP jeeps - I go through the entire Jeep and fix what needs fixing, do all the fluids, and polish them up to look as good as they can be. On that side of things, the threshold is $1000.00. If I can't sell it for a $1000.00 profit after all the work is done (not including labor), then I pass on the Jeep. You're new here, but some members here have seen the jeeps I've refurbished and one member over 1800 miles away bought one sight unseen.

Are you fixing it up to sell or to own? That's the only question.
91 YJ "Alice" 2.5L AX5 D30/35 -Busted Knuckles Yellow Jeep Club #91
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost" 4" RE Lift 1" BL 33s

TJ FOR SALE
Luuca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If you are in it only for the money, STOP NOW. Sell it as is for $1500 and never look back.

If you want to catch the disease, fix her up and quit counting the coins going toward your new passion.

Do you do the "Jeep Wave"?
Unread 09-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think I just needed the push. Thanks guys. I am new but already have the bug. I have rebuilt a bunch of cars over the years. It was never about profit though. Ran out of time today on the water pump. I just have to stop thinking and keep on doing. Even if it is the freeze/frost plug later I think I will just keep going. I have a good work buddy who is a CJ owner. Had a good talk with him today. Plan to just fix it and own it. He will be back from Colorado in a few weeks and offered up the beer to knock labor to help knock out what ever is needed.

As for the "Jeep Wave" first time was on the way to get the water pump tonight... only had her for a couple of weeks. Another good omen for sure.
Unread 09-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
wrjr4

Im reserecting mine for the third time. The important thing to remember is there are many addictions in life gambling, drinking, drugs, women, but none give back at a rate of twice what you put in time after time like jeeping.
wrjr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #8
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks again all. Decided to just dive in head first. I am going to go ahead and start a build thread. I have seen a lot of work done through here on all kinds of stuff but not a lot of straight replacement parts work. Have a new radiator in but have a water pump, inlet, rotors and pads, calipers, posi lok, new front shaft and new rear u-joints and front and rear shocks to go in over the next two weekends. Going to pull the track bars if the shocks don't help... and signing up for a premium membership. You guys are awesome and this stuff ain't free host.
Unread 09-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA93Javert View Post
Thanks again all. Decided to just dive in head first. I am going to go ahead and start a build thread. I have seen a lot of work done through here on all kinds of stuff but not a lot of straight replacement parts work. Have a new radiator in but have a water pump, inlet, rotors and pads, calipers, posi lok, new front shaft and new rear u-joints and front and rear shocks to go in over the next two weekends. Going to pull the track bars if the shocks don't help... and signing up for a premium membership. You guys are awesome and this stuff ain't free host.
AWESOME DECISION!!!! Now you just have to name your jeep and it's a done deal!

My daughter's Yellow YJ is Alice and my white LJ is nicknamed Ghost.

TJ FOR SALE
Unread 09-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #10
IA93Javert
1993 YJ Wrangler 

And so it begins....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9.../#post25560570
Unread 09-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #11
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
The other side of the coin for me is I buy, refurbish, and resell jeeps. I do not FLIP jeeps - I go through the entire Jeep and fix what needs fixing, do all the fluids, and polish them up to look as good as they can be. On that side of things, the threshold is $1000.00. If I can't sell it for a $1000.00 profit after all the work is done (not including labor), then I pass on the Jeep. You're new here, but some members here have seen the jeeps I've refurbished and one member over 1800 miles away bought one sight unseen.

Are you fixing it up to sell or to own? That's the only question.
uhh, isn't that the definition of flipping? buy, increase value, sell. I guess flipping got a bad rap from the housing crash.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #12
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134
uhh, isn't that the definition of flipping? buy, increase value, sell. I guess flipping got a bad rap from the housing crash.
Flipping: buying an item and immediately reselling it for more without the expense or time of repairs or improvements.

Refurbishing: buying an item, fixing what is wrong, improving upon it, and reselling it.

But whatever - words.

Posted via my pretentious iPhone.

TJ FOR SALE
Unread 09-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #13
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

check the noun definition: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/flipping

bad real estate agents have just sullied the word.
Unread 09-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
Luuca
Professional Novice

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134
check the noun definition: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/flipping bad real estate agents have just sullied the word.
I know of at least 2 guys on Craigslist that will buy a jeep for a decent price and then the same day put it back up on CL with the same effing pictures the original ad had but for 900-$1200 more than they paid. To me, that's flipping a jeep. I spend months refurbishing the ones I sell. I don't like using the term flip for what I do. Many of the people I've sold jeeps to still call me to ask questions and for advice or parts. I don't want to sell anything to anyone that is unsafe and a bad value. I believe what you give you get.

TJ FOR SALE
Unread 09-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #15
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
I know of at least 2 guys on Craigslist that will buy a jeep for a decent price and then the same day put it back up on CL with the same effing pictures the original ad had but for 900-$1200 more than they paid. To me, that's flipping a jeep. I spend months refurbishing the ones I sell. I don't like using the term flip for what I do. Many of the people I've sold jeeps to still call me to ask questions and for advice or parts. I don't want to sell anything to anyone that is unsafe and a bad value. I believe what you give you get.

It's just a word. Buying and then immediately re-listing is more like Market Arbitrage Selling the same thing back to either a larger market, richer market, or time shifted market.

The semi-hobbyists are often the best to purchase from. Especially in a case like yours where you only do Jeeps because you know/love them. Perhaps I'll even buy my next jeep from you. Also, do you do locker installation?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.